The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Guided Tour of a Hit Mix
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Guided Tour of a Hit Mix

Hi Charles

I've got a request. I know you do excellent work in your Hard disk Life series, opening up the process and world of your mix work and I was wondering if you might do something similar but a bit different here.

Would you chose a reasonably well known successful track that you feel has an exceptionally good mix and give us a guided tour through the track, what is making it 'happen', techniques, treatments, emotional coaxing, commercial awareness, creative conformity and rule busting etc. highlighting the choices made as they occur and why you like them.

The track could be one of your own, someone else's work you love or a song you don't love but you admire the mix work. Please pick a song available at all good record shops!

Maybe you could choose the track, let us know your choice and then give those of us who want to 'play' 4-5 days to source it, listen to it and make mental notes. Then you could commence the 'tour'!

I'm sure I'd find it really valuable and fun if you'd be willing!
Old 9th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Many thoughts come to mind:
  • That's what I'm trying to do with Hard Disk Life and it's taking me seven months to give the "tour", but I guess there's something to be learned from an abridged version.
  • I went through the process of trying to pick a song with HDL, and it was the hardest part—picking one that would appeal to the most people.
  • Giving a "tour" of a song I didn't mix would be even harder than what I'm doing with HDL, since I won't be familiar with the moves going on underneath the hood, but I'm willing to give it a try.
  • So, if you + the other members of the forum can select + agree on a song, I'll give it my best shot to give you a "tour".
Sorry for taking so long to reply.
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks for saying you'll give an abridged 'tour' a go.

It is hard to pick a track!

Two tracks have sprung to mind for me; you've already started talking about your Ricky Martin mix of "Livin La Vida Loca" (what does Loca mean?) so that's possibly a good option,
The other track I thought might have some crossover appeal here and be interesting to discuss is the No Doubt track "Hella Good" from their "Rock Steady" album, produced by No Doubt and Nellee Hooper and mixed by Mike 'Spike' Stent.

Anyone prefer either of these tracks or have any other suggestions....?

thanks
Old 9th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Loca: crazy.

I would be into examining the mix for "Hella Good".
Old 10th November 2002
pan
Lives for gear

...me no doubt an interesting topic...

...that's really bad English, aint'!
Old 19th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Renie,

(In response to a private message asking me to post here.) I'm ready. I haven't posted here, because there didn't seem to be a clear choice for the song. So, go ahead and select + agree on a song and I'll try to disect the mix.

Let me add that once you have decided what the song is please contact me via Private Message so I will know you are ready to go. You're in charge with this one, Renie.

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Well we've got 3 votes for No Doubt and 1 for Ricky (including my 2 votes).
So 'Hella Good'- No Doubt is the winner and the current selection.

I'll leave this up for 24 hours should there be any last minute voters and then PM Charles the final result.
Old 19th November 2002
adz
Here for the gear

I'll add another vote for "Hella Good"....
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Gwen... Hella Yeah! rollz rollz rollz
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

No Doubt - 'Hella Good' is the winner. If anyone knows Mike "Spike" Stent please ask him to come here and talk with us!!
Old 20th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Give me a few days to analyze the mix and I will post my response. To do this properly it will take a bit of time.
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

cool .... looking foreward to this.
Old 23rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Hella yeah! Looking forward to this.... That's a track the ADAM guys we're kind enough to demo their wares on at AES...
Old 26th November 2002
Here for the gear

Mark "Spike" Stent did a great job on the Linkin Park remix CD "Reanimation."
Old 26th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

I apologize for taking so long. I have not had the time to sit down and study the mix. I will make the time for this. It may just take longer than the few days I thought it would. I'll post once I've been able to do this right.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 26th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Thanks Charles. Take your time! We're all looking forward to it.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search