The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I have to ask some newbie questions...sorry!
Old 7th November 2002
I have to ask some newbie questions...sorry!

If only this forum could continue beyond 'guest' status.
My questions:
What's this about HD2 and HD3?
I've just ordered the HD upgrade and PT version 5.1 from the Mix24 system I currently use.
I'm dealing with my regular supplier but should I have specified something...HD3....I don't understand?
With regard to analogue consoles. I understand the benefits of recording to PT via a premium channel strip/micpre etc...
I've also been mastering to dat via vintage eq and compressors.
So what's all this 'summing buss' business?
I guess if you are mixing in the box you might come out of a couple of outputs and go back in via a nice console channel. Is this it, or is it something else?
So far I've been recording and mixing at 44.1k as that's how it's going to end up on CD. Is there really a benefit to working above CD specs and how do you do it? I mean at what point do you start thinking about distilling everything back down to the audio CD format.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

hd and hd3 are just higher spec dsp systems in the the same way as mix, mixplus, mixcube. basically just more dsp farms....
Old 7th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Re: I have to ask some newbie questions...sorry!

chrisso,

"So what's all this 'summing buss' business? I guess if you are mixing in the box you might come out of a couple of outputs and go back in via a nice console channel. Is this it, or is it something else?"

It's something else. It's an ongoing debate about mixing inside PT using its internal stereo bus, vs. routing out of it as many individual tracks and/or submixes as you can into as many indivdual inputs as you have on an analog console, and using the anolog boards bus to sum the audio. It has been discussed at great length both here on GEARSLUTZ and on the DUC (Digidesign's User Conference). Just do a such for "mix bus" using both sites search engines (click on the word "Search" in the top right area of your browser on either site.) You will have many threads to choose from.

See the mastering preparation thread for my reasoning behind how I prefer to print my final mix for mastering.
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear