The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Obstacle-Busting Work-Arounds For The Processor/System Challenged
Old 7th April 2004
Lives for gear

Obstacle-Busting Work-Arounds For The Processor/System Challenged

Running Digi001 PTLE on an antiquated Mac 350Mhz G3 makes creating mixes that will compete with "pro" systems a CONSTANT excercise in improvising work-arounds.

Many if not most (or perhaps even all) of us have run into barriers imposed by the inherent limitations of our respective DAW systems.

But understand this: When you hit a wall, there's ALWAYS a way to get beyond it. Through it, around it, above, below it... Where there is a will, there is a way. And there is ALWAYS a f*cking way. So let us share the ways.

When you run out of:

> Processing power

> Track counts

> Time

> $$$

> Whatever else...

...and you STILL make it happen, how do you do it?
Old 7th April 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Obstacle-Busting Work-Arounds For The Processor/System Challenged

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
how do you do it?
These are obviously not some secret tips, but common sense things I'll do
If I hit "the wall".

Audiosuite, rendering and playlists.

For example, instead of the typical 4 or 5 versions of lead vocal tracks, each with its own 3 or 4 plugs.

If need be, Ill do 4 or 5 playlists, on one track.
Ill put up a dynamic/eq plug chain in real time, on the channel, get what I want, and "save as" on the plugs in question.

Then select the entire track on that particular playist, call up the same plug in Audiosuite, recall the "saved as" setting, and render that playlist.

and so on, until my 4 or 5 tracks/playlists are complete.

During the mix, ill toggle between the playlists choosing which "Track" i want at the that particular time, cobbling those pieces together, on fresh playlist.

Hopefully that made sense

It IS a pain in the ass, [ but you asked for work arounds],
but it has helped me when doing mixes in folks home studios.

best

Sean
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

Also obvious but I often submix and print stuff I am happy with. If it was extensive then I will duplicate the session at that point leaving the old one with the fx/plugs intact so at any point I could go back make a change and import it to the current session.
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

The Playlists thing is something we need to explore. I've toyed with it, but I have to admit the whole concept of making playlists happen still goes over my head a bit at this point.

What's clear though, is that in order for us processor-challenged folks to compete with the big rigs, we must be willing to, unabashedly, and with glee:

• Print effects with Audiosuite
• Sum tracks (Bounce To Disk)...

...to the point of ping-ponging stereo mixes back and forth. Example:

I've gotten into a routine of developing tracks with minimal drums. Then when I need to enhance the drum/percussion/rhythm section, I'll ...

> Mute all the existing drum tracks in the session,
> Bounce To Disk a stereo file named SansDrums,
> Re-import that file into a new session
> Use the 22 remaining tracks to build a symphony of drum samples/loops/etc. around that arrangement, and when done,
> Mute the "SansDrums" stereo track on that session, and bounce that drum mix to disk with a tastefully applied compressor plugin on the mixbus, naming that file "DrmBounc1"...
> Import that drum mix back into the original session,
> Then mix to taste, adding whatever else is necessary.

The whole point is to emulate the mix structure of a large console IE: SSL, et al, while simultaneously utilizing the flexibility of the DAW to achieve what it physically cannot do in realtime.

Naturally, a lot of back-tracking is involved. You may bounce the drums and re-import them into your session, only to find the hihat is too loud or whatever, and then you're back into the drum mix session, tweaking.

But with "Save Session As," you can save each stage of each submix, and keep them all organized within the song file. As Sofa King so adequately put, it is a "pain in the ass." But if it's a labor of love, you can develop a system, time-consuming as it may be, which will ultimately yield some killer results.

Bob Olhsson has this great proverb:

"There is fast, there is good, and there is cheap...And you can only have two of those at once."

What we are discussing here falls into the realm of good and cheap. Not fast.
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:

What we are discussing here falls into the realm of good and cheap. Not fast.
Well said!.

Still when I started, I did everything on an 8 track analog. Track drums and bass then mix and bounce down to two tracks and erase the originals. At least now we can go back to them when we realize the HiHat is too loud.
Old 8th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
"There is fast, there is good, and there is cheap...And you can only have two of those at once."
What's it mean when you only have one of them?
Old 8th April 2004
Lives for gear

well when my computer can't handle anymore tracks, plugs or whatever i just push that magical function that samplitude has implemented in its latest incarnation which is the 'freeze function' its a god send. Logic, Nuendo(i think), do as well heh
Old 8th April 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Teacher
well when my computer can't handle anymore tracks, plugs or whatever i just push that magical function that samplitude has implemented in its latest incarnation which is the 'freeze function' its a god send. Logic, Nuendo(i think), do as well heh
Tell me about it ! that freeze function has saved my ass many times !
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Charles:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's it mean when you only have one of them?
Charles,

I give up.

What DOES that mean?
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Hi Eric

Hope you don't mind a slight veer off topic.

I'm curious why you stay with PT LE and don't cross over to Logic (or other).

I personally wouldn't choose PT LE if I had to make an all-native choice.

Thanks

Rene
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Reason to stick with PTLE is the plugin support. Most interesting native plugins come as RTAS but not as AU. I hope this will change tho as i use both PTLE and Logic myself, and would like to be able to use all plugins in both programs.
Old 9th April 2004
Gear Maniac

Audio Suite

When processing a track with an audiosuite plugin, is there any latency? Do I need to nugde the track after the file is rendered?

Thanks!
Brian
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

No, there won't be any latency when you process a track with AS. You already gave your computer the opportinuty to take his time for the calculations during the processing. The resulting file will be spot on.
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

what about recording the busses and AS these?
keep the drums in and instead of using the 2 stereo busses on them ful of plugins, just record them to stereo tracks and mute or delete the 2 busses. Audiosuite these to taste.
the current mix im working has 30 tracks and my cpu gets down when using +-10 plug ins, but have to work thru it to afford a new daw, so A real pain in the buttheh but it works.heh
Old 9th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Renie
Lives for gear

Hi Eric

Hope you don't mind a slight veer off topic.

I'm curious why you stay with PT LE and don't cross over to Logic (or other).

I personally wouldn't choose PT LE if I had to make an all-native choice.

Thanks

Rene
Renie,

Interesting question. I wasn't aware there were so many advantages Logic/DP/et al might have over PT, besides track counts and MIDI support, neither of which is really burning me right now. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to have one of those programs in addition to PT.

There's lots of things about PT that I REALLY dig. So its limitations don't bug me. It's kinda fun actually, coming up with funky-assed ghetto workarounds in PTLE. I really love the sound I get with this stuff.

But if someone wants to send me a cracked version of Logic I'll be happy to try it out.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search