Here for the gear

Chain Gang

I’m doing narration work

C1>RenDeEss>>RenBass

C1 Gate set to -40
RenDeEss Freq at 5999 narrow
Ren Bass set at Freq 80 With Intensity-1

The RenBass is killer for the sqashed multimedia destinations

I have more experience with Vocals than Voice.

Any suggestions on the chain

Moreover, I know each chain is situation dependant but if anyone would list generic chain orders under different circumstances I would greatly appreciate it.

Could anyone please direct me to discussions on:
1. Chain Orders
2. Post Audio

Additionally, anyone using RenBass for music?

Thanks!
Old 4th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Jonathan,

Sorry, I don't do narration work, but I do have preferences for my vocal chain order for vocals, and it's similar to yours:
  • Compressor (RenComp)
  • De-Esser (Waves) I prefer to de-ess after compression—it seems to be more effective, and before EQ—it gives me more top end headroom with the EQ.
  • EQ (RenEQ) I'm an EQ after compression kind of guy, just sounds so much more open.
What do you think of the RenBass, De-Esser, + Vox plugs?
Old 4th November 2002
Here for the gear

Hey Charles,

I tinkered with the Ren Vox but did not see the real world use.
Not enough control?

When I do AudioSuite processes I had always used the classic DeEss by Waves. I was led to using the Ren version because of the voice work and having to leave it inline. It offers more control over the reduction placement (width- range ala C-4, ect.)

I don’t think I would ever need to leave it inline for real music or Vox-but after spending a considerable amount of time getting used to it, I may start using it offline.

RenBass is pretty amazing. I have read all the guides and had some correspondence with Waves on its uses. Like I said, it delivers, as advertised, for multimedia installation enhancement (lame speakers, computer speakers). I was going mad trying to figure out how some voiceover houses were getting boomy voice dubs out of a G4 speaker. RenBass solved that!

[Addendum] Im not trying to mix for G4 speakers-its just to test how well the RenBass delivers on its promise of adding bass that does not exist or would not normally be reproduced in certain circumstances. Then the question becomes how does that added element color the mix in more conventional playback situations.
[/Addendum]

The Waves docs say it can be used in music to deliver low end punch for Club mixes and even mention enhancing a "well recorded" Bass signal in a mix.

I actually have had it in mixes and thought "Wow- I should use this". But I never had the courage to go with it on a final bounce. I guess I was being superstitious.

That’s why I am always curious to find out if anyone else has used it in music.
Old 5th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Jonathan,

Thanks for the info.

Re: RenBass, I've used Waves MaxxBass, which uses pretty much the same process, a number of times in mixes (usually on the bass—how incredibly unimaginative of me) and it work fine. Didn't screw things up in any weird kind of way or anything. Just did what it was supposed to. So, go ahead and print with it.

(And then check in the car.)
Old 5th November 2002
Here for the gear

Well thats good to hear Charles. Ill have to see if it will come into play with some of the sinthetic stuff im doing. rollz

Thanks Again
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear