The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DAW Record Making Techniques
Old 4th April 2004
Gear Addict

DAW Record Making Techniques

Let's speak about the recording process : DAW Record Making Techniques as Charles suggested.
It's a very large subject, I am sure that Charles will find a starting point to begin heh

P.S : I would be interested to know if you learned a lot when you worked with famous artists and bands.
Old 4th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

krid,

It's clearly a huge topic as you mentioned, so much so that I might barely scratch the surface before the month was out, covering material you've already learned + never really get to what you're interested in. Nonetheless, I do want to help you any way I can.

Put another way, the first rule of addressing any group is to: know your audience, and it applies here as well. Could you tell me more about where you are in the learning process of record making? Or otherwise tell me where you would like to start?

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Charles:
the first rule of addressing any group is to: know your audience, and it applies here as well.
I've found it's essential to producing any recording, to start by addressing this question, concisely.

Me and my collaborators over the years have wasted entire years off of our lives spent producing projects without any clear goal in this regard, only to be frustrated with recordings that were artistically "interesting" yet utterly unmarketable.

Now, when I have a new artist come in to produce, the first thing we do is discuss what the intended audience/market/demographic will be, before we even touch the instruments or the gear.

So then all the decisions made henceforth in regards to production approaches are guided by the need to successfully reach that audience. Which if you think about it, actually makes your job as producer a lot easier.
Old 4th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
Which if you think about it, actually makes your job as producer a lot easier.
Absolutely!
Old 4th April 2004
Gear Addict

I think that your HDL columns about mixing were great and helpful because you covered the whole mixing process (so your audience was pretty large).
When I started this topic I thought about something similar for the recording process who would interest a lot of people.
As you said it's a huge topic and we don't have months ...

I think that the best thing would be to take an exemple as you did for the HDL column with Crease : let's say a rock or pop band you entirely recorded who could serve us for this subject.

The Starting point would be the Drums :
- Choice of the drumkit, heads and tunings if needed
- Choice of the room (small, medium, large ...)
- Choice of soundproofing materials, panels if needed
- Choice of the mics and their positions
- Choice of outboard gear to record
- Choice of plugs-in to record
- Setting up the Pro Tools session : tracks, plugs-in, Click (track), monitoring ...
- Comping the Drums : techniques ...

Tell me what you think ? You are free to add anything you want (important things that I forgot).

Thanks.
Old 4th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Great questions krid. Seriously. Very well thought out. Give me some time and I will begin posting.

Thanks.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search