The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nearfield monitors for mixing.
Old 4th April 2004
Nearfield monitors for mixing.

I've been a long time fan of Genelec.
ADAMs have been getting a lot of press lately. I've haven't had the opportunity to check them out. Do you have any experience and comments on these speakers?
I understand that a few new models were released at NAB.
Old 4th April 2004
Gear Addict

ADAM S3A are awesome, I use them as nearfield monitors and I love them.
I am not a big fan of Genelec because to my experiences (1030, 1032, 1037) they don't translate very well on others systems, and they are too flattering to my ears.
The ADAM S3A translate very very well on others systems, they aren't flattering as the Genelec's and they are very precise, I was also impressed by the low end (punchy).
You don't need to push them to get some low end as it's the case for others monitors, they are well balanced even at low level.
You should check them out.
Old 4th April 2004
Krid
Thanks for your comments and direction to the thread.
I'd love to check out the ADAMs. It's not that easy to find them. I'll have to go to NY to see them I suppose.
Old 4th April 2004
djs
Gear Nut

have you tried the dynaudio's ? i'm looking at all three monitors as of now (genelec, adam, dynaudio). just curious what others thought about how they translate compared to adams and genelics. of the three, the only ones i'v heard so far are the genelics. all negitive and positive is welcome. thanks.
Old 4th April 2004
Gear Addict

I tried a pair of Dynaudio, I think that it was the B15A.
I found the midrange too agressive, the low end too boomy ...
They lack the accuracy, clarity and precision of the ADAMs S3A in my opinion.
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

Hi!
I am actually about to finaly leave my Event 20/20Bas behind (go ahead- get a good cringe out of the way )

While I would love to throw some Adams in their place, I am also stepping up to 5.1, and they would be out of my price range by a couple thou.

I am looking at an approx $4k cap, and the only system that seems to be fitting for my situation is the Blue Sky System One 5.1 (not the ProDesk).

Room is about (seated in mix pos):
21' left to right
11' 8" front to back
just over 8' high
Room is not a rectangle, there are some oddities in the room (done on purpose)

I have 3 other references in my house (top of the line Yamaha fed Boston Acoustics/Velodyne 5.1 system, boom box, "consumer level" stereo/surround system).

Now the fun part! I am handicapped (T6 complete para), and do not have the ability to travel to sample all the goodies out there. So, my decision is being based upon reading/talking with others, and trying to find those that have similar tastes, and then find their opinions. Definitely not the best way to go about things...

Low end is my biggest weakness: Without accurate lows, I hype 'em every time. So, definitely need to have a "full range" solution.

Last question:
I have had years of experience, road (FOH and monitors) and studio (garage to pro). While I have never "tuned a room" for recording, I have done it zillions of times for live work (shoot room, placement, etc).
How difficult is it to "tune a room" and place speakers?
I figure it is worth trying at least.
I would be hard put to find an acoustician with a good rep down here (SW Florida), and dont know if I could afford to fly someone in from across the state (or further).
If it is worth a try, good place to rent the equip to accomplish it?

btw- if you hit my site and look at my little playground, the pics are a little out of date. All the Hosa is gone (hehehe- cringe again), racking has been redone (rethought, planned, reracked), etc, but the room and main workstation are the same (workstation is another product of being ahndicapped; I designed it over several months, making the best compirmises I could at the time, and had a local wood shop build it).

Thx for taking time to read all that! Any help greatly appreciated

Old 5th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

nikki-k,

Very interesting sites. I really liked them both.

About getting accurate low end in your studio, I'm no acoustic expert, but I've found if you don't have control over the low end acoustics of your room it really doesn't matter what monitors you use.

I checked out your studio pics and I couldn't tell if you have bass traps or not. But when I put bass traps in my control room they really helped to improve the accuracy of the low end.

I installed MiniTraps by REALTRAPS. They really made a difference in my studio and they are relatively inexpensive compared to many of the other tuned bass traps I compared them to. Check out their site.

Also, since you've had experience tuning rooms for live sound, you might like to read an excellent article A New Approach to Personal Studio Acoustics by Ethan Winer that appeared in this months Electronic Musician. Ethan also happens to be the designer of the MiniTraps, though the article never mentions his product. It's about the causes of acoustic problems in project studios. REALTRAPS website discusses the solutions.

For monitoring I have Yamaha MSP-10's (self-powered, similar to 1031's), but they're mostly for the clieant. I spend most of my time mixing between NS-10's and Sony SRS-88's (small self-powered computer speakers).

Hope this helps.
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

Hi!
Cool- thx! The sites are months of learning photoshop, tons of mock-up design to find what I wanted, and then build it from scratch. Figured it would be good to own as much as possible from the start

I did an experiment with Auralex and the Event's. I already had the Event's, and figured why not? Needless to say, did not work

I have about a dozen or so Auralex bass trap corner "thingies." Plenty of the usual "squares," and some diffusers. I initially put the stuff up and put all the equip in just to have something to work with while I figured exactly where to go with things. It ws ending up paralyzed that got me back into music whole-heartedly (once again!), so to say it has all been a learning experience is an understatement.

I really like the idea behind the Real Traps stuff. Most of the Auralex will be coming down, will look into mixing the two maybe...

I have worked on NS-10's, and found them a bit "fatigueing" (sorry to use an over-used description). I have found the Event's to be decent for what they are, just a bit flabby and "vague." Jumping up to 24/96 has really brought out the worst in them. Based on past likes and dislikes, and finding others who expressed similar opinions on the same monitors, I am taking a leap with the Blue Sky's. Yes, the Adams were my first choice, Genelec second, Blue Sky third.. But, I have only had time on Gens before, so the Adams and Blue Sky systems are out of circulated opinion, and opinion of those I know well enough to gauge their descriptions.

Thx for the link- I used to get EM, but I cut almost all of my subscriptions when I got irked at all the "false hype for pay" thing

I figure shooting the room won't be too bad, but a big difference will be that with live work, it often comes down to shoot, place within restrictions, and then tailor with outboard. Would rather try and tailor the room and placement a bit more with studio of course, avoiding having to throw an EQ in there except as a last resort.

Thx again!
Old 5th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

nikki-k,

Your welcome. I've done something similar to what you are talking about. I've combined acoustical materials--like your Auralex foam--to absorb + diffuse the high end freqs. And I use the tuned bass traps to tame the low end. I previously also had foam corner "bass traps", but they really seemed to have no affect. It wasn't until after I added the MiniTraps that my low end evened out.

Before you EQ your room, you might want to take note of one of the points that I found very interesting in Ethan's article. He says that it's a bit of a myth that we can correct low end problems by EQ'ing the monitor system in project studio size control rooms:
Quote:
The severity, narrow bandwidth (high Q), and small physical size of acoustic nulls are the main reasons equalization can never correct low-frequency problems in small rooms. Whatever you do to flatten the response in one location will surely make things much worse somewhere nearby.
It seems to make sense. You might even want to give Ethan a call. He's an extremely nice guy, and was very helpful when I spoke with him. His number's on the contact page of his website.

Hope this helps.
Old 5th April 2004
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Charles,

> I installed MiniTraps by REALTRAPS. They really made a difference in my studio and they are relatively inexpensive compared to many of the other tuned bass traps I compared them to. Check out their site. <

Thanks very much for the plug! Any chance of getting some photos of your control room with the traps installed for our Customers page?

--Ethan
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

Another great place for acoustics info and advice is the acoustics forum:

http://forum.studiotips.com/

Not to mention John Sayer's site and forums

http://www.johnlsayers.com/

No doubt Ethan's products work well, but they aren't the only game in town.
Old 5th April 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Ethan,

You bet!!! I'll take some pics + email'em your way. Again, thanks so much for making such a great product. I'm very satisfied with the results.heh
Old 5th April 2004
Speaking of near field monitors...has anyone had the opportunity to hear the new additions to the ADAM P series?
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Dye
Ethan,

You bet!!! I'll take some pics + email'em your way. Again, thanks so much for making such a great product. I'm very satisfied with the results.heh
Post them here. I'm interested in seeing your setup also. Thanks.

Shane
Old 11th April 2004
Here for the gear

I work on Tannoy 800A.
I love the sound !!!
I love to work on it and I find the medium that I find on NS10 and that I want to hear on my mixes.

HAve you tried them??
Old 11th April 2004
Lives for gear

dynaudio BM15A or ATC SMC-20 (passive) ... I prefer and rely heavily on the dynaudio's.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search