The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AD/DA latency and DAWS
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

AD/DA latency and DAWS

Jon brought this up a while ago and that's when I started to fool around with it too.

The 192 has 103 samples AD/DA latency. So 51.5 samples before the musician hears the music and another 51.5 before his music hits the hard disk.

In average I think most AD/DA convertors have like 100 - 120 samples of delay. say somewhere between 2.5 and 3 ms. that is hearable .... no doubt about that ... so :

Charles ..... do you compensate for that delay ?

FWIW ... I've been fooling around with it for a while .... in some cases I did find the dubs sounding better in time when nudged .... in others I found it worse. Now I just listen and I'll try a quick 100 sample nudge back and forth. see what sounds / feels better.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

This is a complex question.

Some DAW systems automatically compensate for the delay upon playback. Others don't.

Is the player/singer intuitively compensating for the delay while recording? If so, are you helping or hurting their intended performance by nudging? In the case of autocompensation, is that "undoing" the intuitive compensation from a singer/player?

I've thought this one through for some years now. There is no one answer.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've thought this one through for some years now. There is no one answer.

Regards,
Brian T
This reminds me of a session here recently...I had a (semi-name) rapper over to overdub some tracks, and I asked him his opinion about timing issues in relation to the arrangement of the song.

He replied:

"You're the producer. That's your call."

Point well taken: When you produce in Pro Tools, the ball is in your court.

Agreed?
Old 3rd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Chris,

There are two reasons I don't do this:

One is a talented drummer I work with (who's sense of time is uncanny) says that he could hear the delay between when he hit a drum + when he could hear it back in his cans. He said this when we were working on a PT session. He then said that when he works in large studios with analog consoles and lots of cabling between the studio proper, the control room + back that he could also hear a delay between his hit + hearing it in his cans. :eek: I thought that was pretty incredible. He then said he simply compensates for it when he plays. Pretty freaky.

The second is when working in the studio we usually judge whether we are keeping a take upon playback instead of when it is performed. And with DAW's it is even more likely that we may be deciding it when we are comping a final performance.

So, global nudging is not something I normally do. Though slipping a lead vocal back 20 ms (not samples) is something that is done from time to time. (That's for a whole other reason.)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search