The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Plug-In Verbs Vs. Hardware
Old 3rd November 2002
Here for the gear

Plug-In Verbs Vs. Hardware

How many of you out there that mix "In-The-Box" are using plug-in verbs exclusively? I'd love to someday be able to eliminate all the extra hardware, but as of now, I'm just not 100% sold on the reverb plugs that are currently out there (Reverb One, Real Verb, etc.). I do like some of these plugs for certain sounds but I have yet to find replacements for high-end hardware.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated,

Thanks,
Bobby T
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

IMVVVHO .... the only plugin that comes even remotely close to my hardware is Reverb one .... I hardly ever use it because I have more then enough outboard available (960 / PCM 91 / sys 6k) but during tracking I'll throw a R1 on a Aux with a standard preset to go fast. During mixing the only one that might get used is D-verb .... but I don't even consider that one as a reverb .... I use it as an FX thing.

All the others .... true ... real .... lexi .... whatever verb .... yuk.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

The Ren Verb, and Alti Verb do it for me... D verb sounds kind of cool with pre delays larger than 60 ms on certain things. The Amplitube spring verb sounds pretty cool to me.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Glad to see I'm not the only PT'er on the planet who actually uses the D-Verb.

It sounds nasty...until I cut the lo-pass setting to about 5992K, and the hi-cut to about 2.9K; then it becomes manageable as a "dark" reverb.

That's just for me though...anyone else have some useful presets for the D-Verb?
Old 3rd November 2002
Here for the gear

Thanks for the feedback. Just curious as I'm about to make a major purchase in the hardware verb category. I'm on the fence between three units.

1. Kurzweil KSP-8
2. TC Syst 6000
3. Lexicon 960

If a Genie popped out of a cup of coffee and granted you the ownership of one of the above, which would you choose?

Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Just curious as I'm about to make a major purchase in the hardware verb category. I'm on the fence between three units.

1. Kurzweil KSP-8
2. TC Syst 6000
3. Lexicon 960

If a Genie popped out of a cup of coffee and granted you the ownership of one of the above, which would you choose?
The TC6000 seems to be the better bang for the buck.

GM uses one...that's all the endorsement I would need.

YMMV.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Actually if it was on the Genie's bill I'd go for the not-so-great bang for the buck one. I can always get the other ones later...
Old 3rd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
...anyone else have some useful presets for the D-Verb?
I love the Non-Lin algorithm. A very gritty gate.
Old 3rd November 2002
This is a tough call. Is it for a surround detup? I own the KSP-8 and its great. I've used both the TC 6000 and the new 960L. In my opinion the 6000 is probably the best all around unit(even though the reverbs are a little "too natural" at times). I think with the new R6000 reverbs this should change. The 960L is has the best sounding reverb of the three, but that's about it. The KSP-8 while really cool, doesn't do 96K yet which defeats the whole purpose as a surround unit(if you are doing DVD). I think the reverbs are good, but not great. I still have alot of my older verbs and they are staying. Another contender is the Eventide Orville.

Good luck with your purchase.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Terry

1. Kurzweil KSP-8
2. TC Syst 6000
3. Lexicon 960

Old 3rd November 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
This is a tough call. Is it for a surround detup?
I'm not currently setup for surround mixing so I am not as concerned about surround ability. My main concern is primarily "great sounding vocal/drum verbs". I do have a Lexicon 300 and I frequently use the Contem-Plate alg. on Vocals. It also has a great Drum room alg.

Thanks,
Bobby T
Old 4th November 2002
Gear Addict

charles,
when mixing inside a daw, do u incorprate hardware reverb units ?
Old 4th November 2002
I run

TC M3000, Eventide DSP 4000 digitaly into my PT mixer via 48k AES

and

An AMS RMX 16 into my analog 'console'

An awkward issue I feel is 96k operation is round the corner soon for me & all the cool 48k digital hardware out now...

What to do?
Old 4th November 2002
There is only one

just real time src from 48>96, its just a freakin effect.
Old 4th November 2002
Gear Addict

I quite like TC's Mega Reverb and use it very much like I do a PCM 70. We haven't bought a hardware verb in about 8 years and nothing we have has digital i/o which I suppose is less of an issue now that the dfegad 888s are history. I acquired altiverb while waiting for the TC plugs to be prepared for HD and love it to death! In terms of bang for the buck it's really hard to beat IMO. I'm incredibly grateful they ported it to Pro Tools!

I find myself incredibly spoiled by full recall and the integration of everything "in the box". Here in this backwater market money/time is incredibly tight and efficiency is imperative to keeping folks coming back.

I used to use Trueverb(with the ER tuned off) all the time for extending acoustic spaces like recital halls where there was plenty of early reflection info already but needed a longer decay.

I haven't found Ren Verb very useful for me, just haven't found my quad mocha in it yet. I do love the Enigma for gettin a little weird though.

In general I find I spend a whole lotless time finding cool effects when the clock is ticking than I did in the eighties when it was personal projects and we were busting our nuts trying to be Eno & Laswell like. rollz yuktyy
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search