The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's up with HD?
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

What's up with HD?

Been browsing around for a used Mix Core and a few Farm Cards and have noticed just as many (at least it seems that way) HD systems up for sale.

What's the deal with that? Are they just not cutting the mustard? Have people upgraded and then realised they made the wrong choice?

I know that just about everybody using HD raves about the quality improvement over Mix systems but are there other factors that are forcing (or causing) people to sell so soon after it's release?

Not bashing HD (in fact I've never heard it and don't know ANYBODY that's upgraded) just curious.

R.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Most all the HD systems you’re seeing on the DUC’s buy & sell section, with a few exceptions, are dealers posing as users, who’ve been reposting the same system’s for about six weeks now. I beat all those prices from a local dealer, which probably explains why they’re still there.

Not to mention that’s some big bucks to be trading with nothing more than an e-mail address...not worth the risk IMO.

dfegad
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Re: What's up with HD?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsey
Have people upgraded and then realised they made the wrong choice?
Don't think so .... definately don't think so. HD is not selling all to well and I have my own theory on that. Plugins is the main reason .... but you won't find people admitting that of course. (k)'s can not be upgraded nore be found right now and to be honest .... I hope it stays that way. Although that might be a naive thought.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Re: What's up with HD?

Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts

HD is not selling all to well and I have my own theory on that. Plugins is the main reason .... but you won't find people admitting that of course. (k)'s can not be upgraded nore be found right now and to be honest .... I hope it stays that way. Although that might be a naive thought.
B-I-N-G-O.... Them plug in companies haven't all caught up yet. All the gigs I've done on HD are ones where the artist says "Do that effect you did on Blah Blah Blah's record", and I can't. It's a helpless feeling. People that use pro tools HD like a tape machine with minimal plug's won't mind as much, but I do some much stuff internally that it's just not worth the jump yet. And Os X's compatibility coming out? There's another wrench in the machinery. I openly admit that I use cracks. Big deal. I've seen the amplitube, filterbank, and waves out there already for HD. It's the best way for me to demo plug in's and transfer them around with me if I happen to be using a rental rig around town, which I do quite often. My I lok is a joke. I wonder if the RIAA is gonna start I loking commercial cds. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy a plug in if I use it, and dropped easily over $15,000 in plug ins (ones that I can't take with me to the HD/Os X platform). It's a tax write off anyway, but the downtime I incur installing and de installing from rig to rig is a joke. Not to mention sometimes having to re authorize after 6 months online for some of these compaines.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

This is all are purely antectdotal, but that having been said...

•My older brother Bobby is currently in LA LA land working with a name act, and he told me over the phone last week that "everybody" there is drinking the PT HD coolaid.

•Last night, I attended an open house party at one of the more popular recording houses here in Philly, which up until now has been adamantly Digital Performer/Mackie d8B-based. At one point in the evening, one of the partners/chief engineer pulled me aside to inform me that he was sold on PT HD, and that the switch was imminent.

•Mixerman's "PT HD Bass-Lite" fiasco was such an embarrassment, that he had to invent a fictional story of a recording session now known as "Bitch Slap" just to distract attention from the fact that he could not in fact find fault with PT HD.

I've got a lab requisition for PT HD cards. As soon as the funds are here, it's here.

YMMV.
Old 3rd November 2002
Gear Addict

I think most of what's being sold are HD process cards. What's happening is people are buying the HD3, then selling off one of the process cards. Because the price difference between the HD2 and the HD3 is less than the price of a process card if you were buying it outright. So it's just a way for people to try to make a little money.
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah, I have to agree. One of the reasons that people aren't upgrading probably has to do with the (k's)...

But it also seems that it's much more common (HD purchases, that is) in the US than it is here in Europe.

I only know of 1 person with HD in the UK. Granted I'm not "Mr. I know everyone with Pro Tools" but is this true? Is the uptake of HD more popular in the US at the moment? And if so, why is that?

Is it more of a Film Industry thing?

Are the people that do guitar-orientated projects not as bothered about upgrading right now? Are the benefits not as obvious in these NOISE specific genres (ie. nasty guitar rock) at the moment?

Just questions, no judgements. I'm easy either way but curious as to how people see this.
Old 4th November 2002
Lives for gear

The improvement in sound quality of the system as a whole is vast. Especially if you don't have Apologee's or Prism's and more so if you mix in the box. This applies to any style of production. I'd say harmonically rich instruments like distorted gtrs are ones that benefit greatly from the improved transparency and smoother high mid + top frequencies.

About sales this side of the pound (pun intended), let's not forget that America is still a relatively rich country... and the biggest market for record and movie-ticket sale!

Not so in Canada of course...

Around here, post and film mixing houses have been pretty fast to jump on the HD bandwagon because they need the higher track count and # of TDM slots. Also, that's were money IS in audio right now...fuuck

Music only studio have been more reluctant to go HD and I'm sure it's got alot to do with the (k) letter!:eek: Only a handful of top studios have upgraded as well as some producers with personal system like me, guys that do larger projects pretty much in the box with outboard inserts and prefer mixing at home...
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Nut

I am in the UK and have HD2. The system is awesome. It is very transparent and mixes sound vey punchy and dynamic aith more headroom. The SRC from 96k to 44.1 is also amazing. There is a huge improvement over Mix system.

96k sounds like analog, particularly on acoustic instruments. the 192 is an awesome convertor for the price

James Cullen

Seabrite studios
Old 5th November 2002
Lives for gear
I am in love with HD3 and my 192. Here in Munich they are selling like hotcakes. Of course I`m coming from PTIII PCI and 882 16bit, so the difference is HUGE. Nonetheless I am completely seduced at the "analogish softness" of what I hear coming through my speakers.

Peter
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search