The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Factors Affecting The "Sound" Of A Digital Mix Bus
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Factors Affecting The "Sound" Of A Digital Mix Bus

I've been wondering about this for some months now, after seeing folks post their opinions on the relative quality between the Pro Tools mix bus and those on other systems such as Nuendo, et al, often implying the PT mix bus is inferior in some way, but never elaborating.

Then I came upon this in one of Charles' posts:
Quote:
The PT mix bus does not add any character or warmth to the mix
•Could this be what bothers peeps - that it is simply too clean? That the PT mix bus doesn't color or flatter the sound in a way they find pleasing?

•Are there indeed flaws in the function of the PT mix bus that you all know about?

•What sorts of software code issues could affect the sound or function of a digital mix bus?

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Interesting syncronicity: Charles was answering this question on another thread just as I was typing that.

Well, at least I know what he thinks now. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 2nd November 2002
Two words:

"Microchips"

and

"Maths"
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Jules:
Two words:

"Microchips"

and

"Maths"
Jules,

Do you find the chips and the math affecting the sound of the mix bus to vary widely in quality between various DAWs?

I suspect a better question for the original thread post would have been:

How does one work within the limitations of the PT mix bus in order to create an optimal mix?

I've seen much reference to the "quality" of the PT mix bus, but very little in the way of helpful specifics.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search