The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Greetings + Sharing Mixing / PT / DAW Tips+Techs
Old 1st November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Smile Greetings + Sharing Mixing / PT / DAW Tips+Techs

Hi All,

A little bit about myself:

My name is Charles Dye and I'm an engineer, mixer + producer based out of Miami, Florida. As a mixer I've worked with Jon Bon Jovi, Sammy Hagar, Julio Iglesias, Ricky Martin, + Jon Secada. As an engineer I've worked with Aerosmith, Hanson, Jennifer Lopez, Shakira, Gloria Estefan, Billie Myers, + Frank Sinatra. A highlight of my career was last year when I received a Latin Grammy Award for Best Engineered Album for Thalia's "Arrasando".

I've been making records with Pro Tools as the sole multi-track for about seven years now, and in the last five many of my mixes have also been done completely inside Pro Tools with no external console or outboard gear. At the same time I've mixed a number of records on large format analog + digital consoles in the last few years.

Earlier this year I started a website charlesdye.com that I call The Pro Tools Learning Site. I use it as a place to share with other users what I've learned about making + mixing records with Pro Tools. I also write a column called Hard Disk Life each month in DIGIZINE (an e-zine on Digi's website) focusing on teaching mixing. We are currently mixing a song online, going through it a track at a time, discussing the plug-ins, the FX's + the automation. Much of what I write about is applicable to users of any platform. So whether you use PT or not, you may want to check it out. The previous month's columns are available here.

About being your guest here @ GEARSLUTZ.com:

I'm really looking forward to being November's guest moderator. Thanks a lot to Jules for asking me, this is going to be a lot of fun!

When he asked, I told him I'd love to do it and I'd like to focus on mixing + record making in general. So, that's how we came up with the heading: Making + mixing records in the digital age.

The four topics I'd love to discuss are:
  • Mixing
  • Pro Tools
But not necessarily just mixing in Pro Tools. And:
  • DAW Record Making Techniques
  • Whatever You Want To
As far as mixing, I do mixes on SSL's, Neve's + PT. It's not so much the format I enjoy talking about, it's the process of mixing (regardless of platform) that really excites me. Sharing with others what I've learned about it, and learning from them is something I really enjoy. So, I'd love to discuss both tips + techniques that are specific to DAW's, but also techniques that apply to any platform.

Secondly, I'd like to share techniques about working on Pro Tools that apply to the entire record making process from tracking to editing to vocal comping (+ "tweaking").

And any topic you want to discuss is fine by me. I'll do my best to answer any questions in the most helpful way I know how. I'm a big believer in sharing knowledge, and I'm always listening to learn something new. My skills improve nearly everyday I'm in the studio, and my knowledge grows nearly every time I'm on the web. So, share with us all your techniques for mixing, Pro Tools, and DAW record making. I'm here because I want to exchange ideas with other musicians, engineers, mixers + producers. So share anything you feel we can learn from. I for one am all ears.

Thanks.
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

hi charles
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

Charles,

A big ol' welcome, and even more, thanks and mucho props for joining us and sharing your Kung Fu.

I'm in the middle of producing a full length CD in Pro Tools on a 001 rig, my first experience with PT, so you'll be seeing a lot of me this month. Apologies in advance if I bombard you with too many questions.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Howdy pawteener!
Old 2nd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Eric,

Bombaaarrrddss Awwwaaaayyyyy!!!!
Old 2nd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

groundcontrol,

And a good doggy to you too.

Maj. Tom
Old 2nd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

5down1up,

back atcha!

Now, I've been seeing you handle for a while now and I've always wondered what it was a reference to. Could you tell us what it means?
Old 11th November 2002
Here for the gear

been lurking here for a bit, your replies are spot on and i love the attitude on your site keep it up... fancy doing it full time?
Old 11th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally posted by bobulatorm
keep it up... fancy doing it full time?
It has really been a lot of fun so far. I might come back again in the future.

Thanks a lot.
Old 11th November 2002
Here for the gear

Hey Chaz, just wanted to heard about you being over here from the DUC, so thought I'd drop in and see how much of your knowledge we can get without paying.......
Old 12th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

It's all free. All I ask in return is that you share your ideas and techniques as well.

Thanks for coming over.
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

Charles,

I attended your ProTools Demo at a MIX Magazine conference in NYC a few years ago. You did a great job, and demoed using tracks from an album you were working on featuring a youngish (early 20s, I believe) singer who I believe had sung with Santana.

I liked the song a lot and wanted to buy the disc when it came out, but don't recall what it was. Does this ring a bell? What was this and has it been released? I'd still like to buy it.

TIA,

Regards,

MattiMattMatt
Old 21st November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

Hi Matt,

Yes I remember, thanks for the compliments. The singer's name is Andy Vargas and he is from L.A. Very talented. For some reason the label chose not to release his album. I can't begin to tell you why.

Shtuff happens!
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

WTF?! I can't imagine a label not releasing it, or a singer with that kind of master not having the option of taking it to another label. I genuinely liked the song (and I'm picky).

BTW, I was recently asked to present some seminars on a product that I happen to use and like. I'm not sure I would have said yes had I not seen you doing your thing with ProTools, which was the best RLPUNCMD (Real-Live-Power-User-NOT-Company-Man-Demo) that I have seen: informative, entertaining, "I laughed, I wept, it became a part of me," etc. etc.

regards,

MattiMattMatt
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search