The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
how big is your PT setup?
Old 1st November 2002
Here for the gear

how big is your PT setup?

actually this is a question not just for Charles but all you GearSlutz running PT....

How extensive is your PT setup? I see Charles and a few others describing their plug in usage on various instruments, vocals and the mix buss and I'm always a bit amazed at the number of plug ins that you guys are using to do your mixes. I'm starting to think that you guys have systems with about 20 mix farms or so. Do you 'pro' guys ever run out of dsp? And if you do, what do you do (start Audio Suiting everything or printing tracks with effects?)

- neil
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

Personally I have a Mix+ with 2 vintage DSP Farms.

Works for me most of the time unless I get involved in silly big mixes.

I also use an awful lot of RTAS plugins on my disk tracks. On my 733 Graphite (The one with L3 cache) this gives me roughly the equivalent of another mix farm without bogging the computer down too much.

My next move is to get a chassis, move all the cards into that, and get a UAD 1, TC Powercore and an RME Hammerfall.

I'm going to then link 16 channels of Hammerfall to my ADAT bridge and run cubase in sync with PT with all the benefits of native audio coupled with a TDM mixer (I already run 24 inputs of synths live into PT). I don't have a mixer, just PT.

For the kind of music I do (Mostly Trance/Club tracks) I've no problems with the PT Mix Bus.

Most of my competition are running Mackies & low-end Soundcraft mixers, so I'm certainly ahead of the game in the quality stakes.

Having limited experience on "Big Iron" desks I'm not in a position to judge in that arena, but for me listening on a pair of ATC SCM-50a's I'm more than happy with the mixes I'm turning out.

They're going to vinyl to be played on a set of Technics 99% of he time so other factors come into play before the sonic fingerprint of PT is noticable.

PT HD is such a non event for me, having it will not bring any more money in through the door, so I haven't upgraded, nor will I.

It took me until the start of this year to get off my nubus system (3 Disk I/Os, 9 (!) DSP Farms), so I think I'll skip a generation and buy into whatever is cooking in 3-4 years time.

One thing I'm going to try with my new system is once all the audio is in PT running subgroups out the ADAT bridge and back into Cubase and use that as the summing bus. I have no idea if that's going to make a difference but I'm game for a laugh...

Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

I'm running a HD3 system on a G4/500. I've got (2) 192's with one having an extra 8 A/D. (24 ins / 16 outs)

Lots of flexibility & TONS of plugin horsepower. Although the 'effect' plugins are the ones I like the horsepower for (Pitchblender, Verbs, Amp Farms, Virus, etc...). My default chain in the box is 'no plugs' til necessary.
Old 1st November 2002
mix core
Mix farm
mix farm
Mix farm
Mix farm
Vintage farm

Want another mix farm!

heh
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Head

main rig is an HD1, roughly equivalent to my other system which is mix core, mix farm, mix farm, vintage farm.

both rarely run out on music mixes, ALWAYS run out on surround mixes due to track count and bussing. i'm a huge believer in PRINTING tracks with effects instead of audiosuiting, because you can just deactivate your original track with the live effects, thereby saving dsp but allowing you to go back if you need to change it...

$.02

-a-
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

Do you guys use much RTAS?

If I didn't have that then I'd be up the creek without a paddle, with a sinking boat and crocodiles in the water..
Old 1st November 2002
very rarely use RTAS - hell, I am on a Beige G3!!!!!

hehehe

It's like Mad max round here, the assistant pedals so we get electricity!
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

At least you have power.. Whilst writing that post the breaker tripped out in the studio. D'Oh!

Thank god for Laptops. Portable UPS!
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

Looks like I'm the nickle & dime hustler in this crew...

•Digi001 PTLE (ok, yous can stop laughing now...)
•B&W G3 350, 640MEGs RAM
•OWC Mercury Elite FW drive

I use the RTAS plugs, but carefully and conservatively, at least until I get a faster processor for the G3. A couple of times when I've gotten into the 20+ track range and 10+ plugs, PT has quit on me.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Mix Plus
Mix Farm
Mix Farm
Mix Farm
Mix Farm
Mix Farm
Mix Farm
Vintage DSP
Vintage DSP
Vintage DSP
Vintage DSP
Vintage DSP
Vintage DSP
(what can I say? I love the Desper Spatializer, 3AD, Magneato, Q mix, etc plug ins)
Digi doesn't recomend it, and I had a special ribbon cable made to get it working. I'm using a marathon racked 9600 with a G3 processor. 2 20' flat screens, with atto. In the marathon I have a CD reader, CD burner, and extra drive bay (in addition to the 2 stor case bays). I also have a hot swapable AIT3 drive, the only one I've ever seen. I'm only using 3 of my 888's currently. I rarely need more. And, uhm, a kensington expert mouse. Is it true that a man's pro tools rig is an extension of his penis?
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Nut

Haven't used much rtas since the upgrade to HD.

It just has SOOOO much more horsepower.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

HD4 ...... but looking at another hd process. for 9 out of 10 mixes it is ok though .... only ran out of dsp once sonce I have HD.
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Addict

2 X HD3

Room A -
G4/533 with HD3
Sync I/O
2 x Midi I/O
2 x 192 Digital
192 with AD exp
192 with DA exp

Room B / remote system (its all shock rack mounted for on-the-go action)
G4/933 with HD3
Sync I/O
Midi I/O
192 Digital
2x192 with AD expansion

I've been seriously thinking of removing my scsi cards and going HD4 on both rigs using only firewire. I'm also thinking of buying some Digi PRE units for high quality remote use (up to 5 or 6 maybe).

I also think it would be good to strap both systems together and have a 48 track 192kHz session!

I haven't run out of TDMII power since I went HD - I used to run out of TDM regularly with MIX3. I did run out of CPU power using the 933 when I was running a 96kHz session that had lots of tracks (I didn't count but it was easily over 60) and Altiverb. C4 doesn't run at 96kHz TDM so I tried to add RTAS C4 to some tracks. The combination of Altiverb running in low latency mode along with 96kHz demands on the Firewire disk access buffering AND the mulitple RTAS C4 usage - ending up being too much for the CPU. I turned off the Altiverb - bounced the C4 stuff and then turned back on the Altiverb. RTAS is lame anyway. TDMII is the way to go.
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

I run a ProControl + HD3 rig on a G4/500 maxed out with RAM with only one 192 i/o. I kept my ADAT Bridge/24 and its adjunct Lucid 8824's from my previous Mix3.

I used to have a Control/24 but after having to exchange it for the 4th time in less than 1 year I screamed loud enough at the local Digi dealer that they gave me a ProControl at costs instead! tut

The new DSP power is very welcomed as I was always painting myself in a corner when mixing before. That's not happening now, at least not at 44.1. I never use RTAS. I don't use verb plugs and I do 90% of my compression outboard. That may change with the arrival of the Oxford dynamics plug, we'll see...grudge

I'm debating expanding my ProControl versus getting an analog board right now. :eek: The answer is mainly a factor of space; i.e.: getting or not the place where I want to move my studio.

I also look forward to try an Hedd as they are now distributed locally and a demo unit will be available.

Still I definitely see an improvement in the sound of my PT mixes with the new system. So I'm quite happy with the upgrade.
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Addict

e-cue wrote
Quote:
Is it true that a man's pro tools rig is an extension of his penis?
I thought it was to make up for not having a big enough one. Which would explain why you have so many mixfarms.

But - it seems you really need a two HD7's linked instead. :eek:
Of course your probably such a plug-in slut that moving to HD represents a major pain in the A*s*s!
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Addict

I have a mix with 3 mix farms. I mostly mix all in the box now days. Before I started my own thing, I was chief engineer and partner in a Euphonix CS-2000 room in Burbank CA. With 3 farms, I can mix just about anything. If I need another farm, I can rent it. I'll probably need another farm all the time when I move up to the Oxford EQ. I understand it's a bit of a dsp hog.

I do all of my work with a mouse and keyboard. At first, I just couldn't afford control surface. The money seemed better spent on farms and plugs, since I started with a Mix +. Now I can do very artistic rides with an optical mouse. I can correct and fix with the editing tools. I have discovered how powerful it is to be able to mix anytime, anywhere with no control surface needed. I've been really busy for the past 3 or 4 years because of Pro Tools.

Steve
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Addict

HD2 w/ G4 800, some RTAS stuff sometimes..

I haven't run out of DSP yet, but then again it seems like I'm using less and less plugs to get things sounding "right" these days and using them more creatively... Also, I'm making heavy use of Waves at the mo, who seem to have gone a bit of an efficiency drive lately.

I have to admit the HD upgrade has made me spend a fortune on plugins..
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
e-cue wrote

I thought it was to make up for not having a big enough one. Which would explain why you have so many mixfarms.

But - it seems you really need a two HD7's linked instead. :eek:
Of course your probably such a plug-in slut that moving to HD represents a major pain in the A*s*s!
The biggest problem for me is running out of mofo nodes... 256 just doesn't cut it on the pop stuff I mix entirely in pro tools... Thank god HD upped this problem.

Now, QUIT PEEKING OVER THE BATHROOM SPLASH GUARD!
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Head

HD4
192 w/ AD
192 Dig
Sync i/o
G4/733
Dual 19" Displays

outboard Dig:
Lexi960
(2) M3000
(2) PCM81's
Eventide Eclipse

44/48k mixes barely use 2 process cards
88/96 mixes eat up everything
Old 2nd November 2002
Moderator emeritus

I'm apparently a wimp - All I have is a Mix card with 2 vintage farm cards. 'll slink back of into the shadows now, with my head hanging in shame...
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by TXDigi
HD4
192 w/ AD
192 Dig
Sync i/o
G4/733
Dual 19" Displays

outboard Dig:
Lexi960
(2) M3000
(2) PCM81's
Eventide Eclipse

44/48k mixes barely use 2 process cards
88/96 mixes eat up everything
Good lord... now that's a nice homestudio!!!
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
I'm apparently a wimp - All I have is a Mix card with 2 vintage farm cards. 'll slink back of into the shadows now, with my head hanging in shame...
It's not how long your pencil is.... it's how you sign your name...
Old 3rd November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dave Martin
------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not how long your pencil is.... it's how you sign your name...
Word...

I'm on a Digi001...you don't see me hiding my ass, do you?

My attitude is: F*ck it, ProTools is ProTools; no matter what the platform, the game is the same.

So what if you don't have the fanciest glove. You've got a glove, and you're in the game.

Play hard.
Old 3rd November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

I've got the other wimp system, then. Just a lowly Mix card. What'll I do? heh

This forces me to concentrate on the most relevant instruments when it's time to mix. My outboard is made up of 10 chs. compression, 2 eq channels, and 2 reverb channels. Pretty minimalist, and I find I don't need more, although I would like to have it.

I'll either buy another ADAT bridge and link it to Samplitude, which has fantastic eq, very useable effects, decent compression, and one of the best multi-band compressors I've ever heard, all built in, or just upgrade to HD eventually and connect it Samplitude.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search