The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your approach on bass.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Nut

Your Bass recording methods

Hi Butch,
Great info & answers from you so far!

I´d like to know how do you ideally like to deal with bass when recording band. Do you like to record it before or after guitars? Also do you record DI or just try to make the amp sound right?

cheers
Jaakko
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict

Your approach on bass.

Hi Butch,

It is super cool having you and your team here. You guys have put so much time and energy into answering so many question and its sincerely appreciated!

About the bass on your productions:

Are you typically using DI and Amp combos?
Lots of eq and compression going in?
Any favorite pre amps, compressors , amps, effects, pedals and mics?

I'm sure you have so many tricks from tracking to mix down if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demel View Post
Hi Butch,

It is super cool having you and your team here. You guys have put so much time and energy into answering so many question and its sincerely appreciated!

I'm sure you have so many tricks from tracking to mix down if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks!

This is one for the engineers to weigh in on!!!

C'mon boys!
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by demel View Post
Hi Butch,

Thanks!
In my experiences with BV, it's a combo of DI, amp and Sansamp RB1

Not much eq going in as we get the sound from the bass and amp first. On the last couple of records we've done together the DI has been the A-Designs Reddi into a LA2A and the mic has been either a Blue Mouse, a U47 Fet or a small condenser like the jospehson es22. The preamp has been a Chandler TG-2, Groove Tubes Vipre or Neve 1073.

For rock, nothing beats a great old SVT and 8x10.

For the Garbage stuff, it's pretty much always been a B-15.

Effects-wise, the Prescription Depth Charge, the sansamp and the EH bass microsynth are usually the first things to try!
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bush View Post
In my experiences with BV, it's a combo of DI, amp and Sansamp RB1

Not much eq going in as we get the sound from the bass and amp first. On the last couple of records we've done together the DI has been the A-Designs Reddi into a LA2A and the mic has been either a Blue Mouse, a U47 Fet or a small condenser like the jospehson es22. The preamp has been a Chandler TG-2, Groove Tubes Vipre or Neve 1073.

For rock, nothing beats a great old SVT and 8x10.

For the Garbage stuff, it's pretty much always been a B-15.

Effects-wise, the Prescription Depth Charge, the sansamp and the EH bass microsynth are usually the first things to try!

Hi Billy

I really liked the bass tone you got on the Against Me record and remember reading that you used a similar chain as above to get that sound.

A question about the Sansamp, are you using it in line with the amp or are you recording three seperate bass tracks, .DI, AMP, and Sansamp?
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaakkol View Post
Hi Butch,
Great info & answers from you so far!

I´d like to know how do you ideally like to deal with bass when recording band. Do you like to record it before or after guitars? Also do you record DI or just try to make the amp sound right?

cheers
Jaakko
Lately I like to record the rhythm guitars first, then do bass.

It's much easier to tell how much midrange or top end you need when the bass has to compete with a wall of guitars.
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Where do the drums come in relation to this?

Do you try and get them down first (something that you will keep) then Gtrs (rhythm) --- > Bass ----> Vox/solos/miscellaneous etc.?
Old 23rd June 2009
Lives for gear

I too prefer to record bass after guitars, especially if rhythms and accents need to change on guitar to follow the drums.

Can you maybe elaborate on getting bass to cut through a dense mix on smaller speakers?
Old 23rd June 2009
dmc
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
Lately I like to record the rhythm guitars first, then do bass.

It's much easier to tell how much midrange or top end you need when the bass has to compete with a wall of guitars.
I still remember an infamous 6hour drive from arizona to socalback in 1992 with my father. during the drive i was at the mercy of Bob's taste in music. i remember after the 3rd listen to foreigner's greatist hits we stopped off at a walmart of all places, and i bought my second copy of SY dirty.
he did make it through the second listen. to his credit.
Old 24th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Hi Billy

I really liked the bass tone you got on the Against Me record and remember reading that you used a similar chain as above to get that sound.

A question about the Sansamp, are you using it in line with the amp or are you recording three seperate bass tracks, .DI, AMP, and Sansamp?
I tend to keep them separate and the blend usually ends up to be mostly amp, some sansamp (which is pretty distorted) and then little or no DI.
Old 24th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
I tend to keep them separate and the blend usually ends up to be mostly amp, some sansamp (which is pretty distorted) and then little or no DI.
Thx Billy. Does the sansamp go into another preamp or are you going straight to AD? And do you tend to roll off the low end on the sansamp so it just provides the dirt?
Old 25th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Thx Billy. Does the sansamp go into another preamp or are you going straight to AD? And do you tend to roll off the low end on the sansamp so it just provides the dirt?
All three channels come up on the console and then get bussed to separate channels in PT.

The sansamp is pretty much there for midrange crunch. Most low end comes from the amp.
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear
Quote:
All three channels come up on the console and then get bussed to separate channels in PT.

The sansamp is pretty much there for midrange crunch. Most low end comes from the amp.
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

The Sans Amp is GREAT for mid crunch.

What's the pedal I like, that Justin used o Bleed Like Me...also Charlotte with the Subways?

Wooly Mammoth?
Old 26th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
The Sans Amp is GREAT for mid crunch.

What's the pedal I like, that Justin used o Bleed Like Me...also Charlotte with the Subways?

Wooly Mammoth?
That's it.. ZVEX Wooly Mammoth.. also the Prescription Electronics Depth Charge.
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

just wondering if sans amp plugin can replace the real thing for you..?
Old 29th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
just wondering if sans amp plugin can replace the real thing for you..?
not really. it's cool for some things but the pedal or rack version does it a bit different.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search