The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing For Mastering
Old 19th June 2009
Lives for gear

Mixing For Mastering

Hi Butch.

Just curious, in a previous thread you said you don't insert any mastering style effects on the mix buss. Do you try to compensate for what mastering will do when you mix(i.e. maybe mix the kicks and snares a little loud since they alwyas seem to "settle" with the extreme loudness that's todays standard). I find myself putting something on the mix buss often towards the end of a mix and making adjustments, and whenever i take it off the kicks and snares seem too loud.

Also, do you use anything on the mix buss(compressors, eq's, etc)

Thanks again.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
Hi Butch.

Just curious, in a previous thread you said you don't insert any mastering style effects on the mix buss. Do you try to compensate for what mastering will do when you mix(i.e. maybe mix the kicks and snares a little loud since they alwyas seem to "settle" with the extreme loudness that's todays standard). I find myself putting something on the mix buss often towards the end of a mix and making adjustments, and whenever i take it off the kicks and snares seem too loud.

Also, do you use anything on the mix buss(compressors, eq's, etc)

Thanks again.
Sometimes i will put a compressor on the buss during a mix, just to see how a "mastered version" will sound, but I take it off after a few passes. I know what you mean about the kicks and snares, they can seem kind of like they poke out, but I like have all the transients there before mastering, they will get smoothed out later.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search