The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the A range VS Daking
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

the A range VS Daking

Butch since your one of the few I know who Have the real A rang and some Daking pres
I would love to here your,Billy and Mikes opinions on how close the Daking comes to the A range?
Heck Smart was the first place I remember actually seeing Daking!
Old 20th June 2009
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Butch since your one of the few I know who Have the real A rang and some Daking pres
I would love to here your,Billy and Mikes opinions on how close the Daking comes to the A range?
Heck Smart was the first place I remember actually seeing Daking!
You know, i don't think i ever A/B'd the two. I was never really concerned if they were the same.

They're both great preamps and eq's.
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bush View Post
You know, i don't think i ever A/B'd the two. I was never really concerned if they were the same.

They're both great preamps and eq's.
Billy's right, we never really A/B ed them in a shootout. The Daking is designed from the A Range, and sounds quite similar. To be honest, once we got the A Range, we didn't use the Daking pre that much.

I think we did use the Daking compressor on guitars when we recorded V 2.0.
Old 20th June 2009
tekis
A Range

That desk at Smart sounds wonderful--like a big 40 channel AC30! Geoff's stuff sounds a little "tighter." But Butch and I both fell in love with the Dakings when we first heard them at A&M.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

i'm a big fan of the daking stuff...lots of dakings in my racks.

for me...the a-range is the best sounding eq/console i have ever used....just so freakin smooth and musical sounding to my ears.

last time i mixed at smart i had a pair of my dakings with me...didn't really do a gearslutz style "shoot-out"...don't really care....just compared a few sources quickly...and gotta say..the vibe and general sound is very similar. pretty obvious that geoff modeled the dakings after the a-range.

once i started really diggin in...or, sliding in....as it were...on the a-range eqs....things sounded different...both really great....just different. depending on the source..and what i wanted to do to it...either could work great.

to me the magic of the a-range desk is the incredible, actually make that INFINITE amount of headroom on the mix buss...man...just awesome. it is simply the nicest desk i have ever mixed on. i have owned ssl's, trident 80's, and worked on everything from api to helios to neve 80 series. the a-range just has something awesome goin on.

(of course at smart...its even cooler in the fact that the desk is in one of the best sounding control rooms i have ever set foot in !!)

cheers !!

jchristopherhughes

ps...go packers !! (i'm a transplant to milwaukee...but i have been told i must say this under penalty of death)
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear
i remember the A Range as being the absolutely best sounding console i've ever heard by a long shot, but it's been awhile.

i was just wondering if you consider the console fast enough for the more modern stuff and if it still holds the title as the best sounding console in the universe.

must be amazing to be able to work on one of those every day... thank you sir.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search