The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Come on people now, smile on your brother
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Head

Come on people now, smile on your brother

Hello Mr. Vig,
Big fan here. What's the story on Dave Grohl's intro on Territorial Pissing? How did you get that weird vocal effect? Was this some kind of inside joke that Dave had going? Moments like that are usually one of my favorite parts of good records.

thanks,
Lee
Old 20th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimona View Post
Hello Mr. Vig,
Big fan here. What's the story on Dave Grohl's intro on Territorial Pissing? How did you get that weird vocal effect? Was this some kind of inside joke that Dave had going? Moments like that are usually one of my favorite parts of good records.

thanks,
Lee
Hey, years ago I read just about anything about Nirvana I could get my hands on, so at some point I'd read about this. From what I remember, it was Chris (who definitely has a very distinctive voice), not Dave singing that and from what I read (I'm not sure about this part), Kurt always loved Chris' voice and was always trying to get him to sing and so he said something like "You sing the intro, Chris. Just sing whatever" and he just went into that song. Chris said that he always liked that song and he didn't sing it sarcastically or anything. That's just from what I remember of what I read (probably 8-10 years ago)

Butch, do you recall how it really went down?
Old 20th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimona View Post
Hello Mr. Vig,

thanks,
Lee
That's not Dave, that's Chris.
I challenged him to sing some sort of intro, make fun of a "wimpy hippie song"
and he had finished half a bottle of Jack.
We did it in one take, in Studio B at Sound City.
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Crazy! I always assumed that was Kurt.
Old 20th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
I challenged him to sing some sort of into, make fun of a "wimpy hippie song"
Haha that's classic! So would you include the half bottle of Jack as at least part of the "weird vocal effect"? I remember reading that Kurt always loved Chris' voice and was always trying to get him to sing. Oh, and then there's that classic Kiss cover they did of 'Do You Love Me' with Chris singing... I also remember reading Chris defending his singing the song when questioned about whether he was sarcastically singing it or something, and he said something to the effect of, 'I always loved that song. They just told me to sing something and that song just came out.'
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
I challenged him to sing some sort of into, make fun of a "wimpy hippie song"
Lol, that's awesome. I love that intro. What a great band, I miss them as a band. So much more real than many artists I hear today.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search