The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Phase/Pan Effect on SP's "Cherub Rock" and "Rocket" Intro's
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Phase/Pan Effect on SP's "Cherub Rock" and "Rocket" Intro's

hi Butch,

thanks again for doing this. Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream changed my life, and is one of the main reasons why i'm doing what i am today. the first time the chords hit me on "Today", i started to hear music in a whole 'nother way.

can you share with us what effect you used in the intro's for the guitars on "Cherub Rock" and "Rocket"? it sounds like some type of panning thing for sure, but maybe some phase thing (that doesn't exactly sound like a phaser either).

i recall watching the Viewphoria video, and Billy mentioned it was a "vertical extrapolator", but obviously there's no such thing... heh
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
hi Butch,

thanks again for doing this. Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream changed my life, and is one of the main reasons why i'm doing what i am today. the first time the chords hit me on "Today", i started to hear music in a whole 'nother way.

can you share with us what effect you used in the intro's for the guitars on "Cherub Rock" and "Rocket"? it sounds like some type of panning thing for sure, but maybe some phase thing (that doesn't exactly sound like a phaser either).

i recall watching the Viewphoria video, and Billy mentioned it was a "vertical extrapolator", but obviously there's no such thing... heh
Jeff might remember...but I think it was an Electro-Harmonix pedal set to the slowest speed.

We did do a lot of actual tape flanging on the album,,,,like the solo in Cherub Rock.
Old 18th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
hi Butch,

On Rocket, Billy used a Ring Modulator...he actually used that quite a bit I recall. Cherub Rock, I'm not so sure. I do know that the FX on the solo was actual tape flanging between the 2 tape machines.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefft View Post
On Rocket, Billy used a Ring Modulator...he actually used that quite a bit I recall. Cherub Rock, I'm not so sure. I do know that the FX on the solo was actual tape flanging between the 2 tape machines.
That's right, it was a ring modulator!

The only part of Cherub Rock where we used tape flange was the solo...so the intro was probably also the rm...
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Are you guys sure it wasn't the Mutron Bi-Phase?

Brad
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

what about the infamous biphase? didn't you guys run everything through it
Old 19th June 2009
Here for the gear

I read that Billy used a EHX microsyth for the out of this world distortions. Is it possible he used that on the intro of 'Rocket' to create such high harmonic content in the first guitar part?
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Are you guys sure it wasn't the Mutron Bi-Phase?

Brad
Yeah it coulda been the Bi-phase!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search