The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to mix for mastering?
Old 17th June 2009
  #1
Gear Head
 
killersoundz's Avatar
 

How to mix for mastering?

Butch, I figured there would be no one better to ask then a seasoned pro. What does a mix of yours sound like before it is mastered?

I have created a very bad habit for myself by always mixing into a Waves L3 Multimaximizer (multiband limiter). The projects I work on do not get sent for mastering but I know I'm going to completely out of luck when I work with a band that wants to send the project to a mastering studio.

I simply cannot seem to get an even sounding mix without mixing into a limiter. Main trouble areas are consistant kick, snare and tom levels (unless the kick is triggered).

Any thoughts on this are appreciated! Thanks
Old 18th June 2009
  #2
Gear Head
 

Cut all levels & then build back up so the gain structure is more even?
Old 19th June 2009
  #3
Here for the gear
 

I am also interested in this topic.

More specifically,

How different do your mixes sound pre mastered vs post?

Obviously mastered is louder but what I would really like to know is:

How different are they tonally?
How different are they dynamically?
How do you 'mix for mastering'?

A big mistake a lot of new mixers make is comparing to a slammed finished product. Any pointers in this area? What do YOU reference against?

How fussy are you with using a particular mastering engineer?
How different are they? Any horror stories??

Lots of questions I know!
Thanks a million, this is an amazing opportunity!
Old 19th June 2009
  #4
Gear Addict
 
ButchVig's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRETPICK View Post
Cut all levels & then build back up so the gain structure is more even?
I never use a master buss comp, unless i wanna jack up a ruff mix to play in the car.

I do use a lot of compression on individual tracks, and use a stereo comp on the drum buss. Sometimes the mix gets too hot, and i have to pull ALL the faders down 5 or even 10 db.

and I never put an eq on the master buss.
Old 19th June 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
MidasHatesGold's Avatar
 

loudness war???

What about loudness war... have you been pushed into that kind of direction by clients/labels/etc, to send the mix already loud to the ME???
Old 21st June 2009
  #6
JDN
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 

I'm really interested on how you handle drums(Kick and snare) when mixing with nothing on the mix buss. Do you find when the songs are mastered the kick and snare "settle" too much and do you compensate for that by having them a little loud in the mix?
Old 21st June 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

i like the way you think Mr. Vig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
I never use a master buss comp, unless i wanna jack up a ruff mix to play in the car.

I do use a lot of compression on individual tracks, and use a stereo comp on the drum buss. Sometimes the mix gets too hot, and i have to pull ALL the faders down 5 or even 10 db.

and I never put an eq on the master buss.
Old 22nd June 2009
  #8
Gear Head
 
killersoundz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
I'm really interested on how you handle drums(Kick and snare) when mixing with nothing on the mix buss. Do you find when the songs are mastered the kick and snare "settle" too much and do you compensate for that by having them a little loud in the mix?
My thoughts exactly. I know if I pull off the limiter on mix bus my kick and snare are throbbing heavily over the rest of the mix.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump