The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonic Youth- Bull in the Heather
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Sonic Youth- Bull in the Heather

Sir, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us here. Bull in the Heather is a great sounding track(from a favorite album of mine). I was wondering how you approached recording the guitars and the lead vocal on that track/album?
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
Sir, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us here. Bull in the Heather is a great sounding track(from a favorite album of mine). I was wondering how you approached recording the guitars and the lead vocal on that track/album?
It was recorded at Sear Sound in NYC. John Siket engineered, and we recorded the basic track live, all 4 members going to tape. We did a few overdubs on guitar, but the track is pretty simple sounding.
Steve Shelly played an AWESOME groove on the song, and he only used one stick, his right had he played shaker.
I think Kim's voice was recorded through an M 49...which sounded amazing!
FYI: Walter Sear's mic collection is out incredible!
Old 17th June 2009
tekis
John Siket here...

The exact set-up was as follows: Neve 8040/1081's, AKGD12 on bassdrumm, SM57 on snare, C12A's on toms, C24 on OH's, U47's and 77DX's on gtrs, RE20 on bass. Everyone was in Sear's small Studio A. There were gobo's. Steve the drummer was the only one wearing phones. The tapemachine was an Ampex MM1200/16track with 499 at 15ips NNR. Kim's vocal was an M49 thru some kind of early Manley tube-pre. Pretty good memory there mon! Thanks.
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
The exact set-up was as follows: Neve 8040/1081's, AKGD12 on bassdrumm, SM57 on snare, C12A's on toms, C24 on OH's, U47's and 77DX's on gtrs, RE20 on bass. Everyone was in Sear's small Studio A. There were gobo's. Steve the drummer was the only one wearing phones. The tapemachine was an Ampex MM1200/16track with 499 at 15ips NNR. Kim's vocal was an M49 thru some kind of early Manley tube-pre. Pretty good memory there mon! Thanks.

thank you Mr. Siket, and Mr. Vig. Bless yall.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Good to see you're on the board John!

a couple things I remember from those sessions....the band brought in a "lofi" PA that we ran a lot of the vocals through...like SST Superstore....

I also remember Lee or Thurston handed Walter Sear a guitar and told him to play a "solo" which ended up being really funny cuz Walter couldn't play guitar!
Old 20th June 2009
tekis
I don't remember Walter's solo...

But yes, Thurston would sing thru an "Earth PA" with its onboard spring reverb. I remember standing in the live-room while they were practicing and watching Thurston "fret" the strangest looking/sounding chords. Then I looked at their guitars and noticed the different tunings written on the back of each neck. Most of the Sonics' sound comes mostly from their unique tunings. I sure learned a lot from both working with them and you, Butch. Glad to see you're back at producing again, mon!
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
But yes, Thurston would sing thru an "Earth PA" with its onboard spring reverb. I remember standing in the live-room while they were practicing and watching Thurston "fret" the strangest looking/sounding chords. Then I looked at their guitars and noticed the different tunings written on the back of each neck. Most of the Sonics' sound comes mostly from their unique tunings. I sure learned a lot from both working with them and you, Butch. Glad to see you're back at producing again, mon!
Yah mon!

i think the tuning for SST Superstore was F# F# F# F# B F#
Old 22nd June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
Yah mon!

i think the tuning for SST Superstore was F# F# F# F# B F#
that's awesome. i remember trying to learn some SY songs on guitar when i was younger, but when i discovered how they tune their guitars i just gave up. some things are better left to the masters...

Question: Both Dirty and Experimental Jet Set... are regarded as musical departures from their predecessors. Was this a conscious decision that you discussed with the band, or did this just kind of happen?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions...
Chris Watkinson
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search