The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nevermind and In Utero, in retrospect
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Head

Nevermind and In Utero, in retrospect

Hi all - noob here with a question for Mr Vig:

When Nirvana's In Utero came out (and even in the hype preceding its release) I recall reading a number of pieces on how "raw" the record was -- unlike the, ahem, glossy commercial sheen of Nevermind.

Now maybe I just remember history differently, but I recall Nevermind coming across as anything but glossy: at the time, it was a sonic sledgehammer upside the head, and that's what made it so popular in my opinion -- it became "commercial" because it was so raw and so refreshing in contrast to what was out there.

In short: how do you hear Nevermind in retrospect? Did you think you as producer were applying a glossy sheen to the band? Or do you recall making one of the toughest sounding records out there?
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterglass View Post
Hi all - noob here with a question for Mr Vig:

When Nirvana's In Utero came out (and even in the hype preceding its release) I recall reading a number of pieces on how "raw" the record was -- unlike the, ahem, glossy commercial sheen of Nevermind.

Now maybe I just remember history differently, but I recall Nevermind coming across as anything but glossy: at the time, it was a sonic sledgehammer upside the head, and that's what made it so popular in my opinion -- it became "commercial" because it was so raw and so refreshing in contrast to what was out there.

In short: how do you hear Nevermind in retrospect? Did you think you as producer were applying a glossy sheen to the band? Or do you recall making one of the toughest sounding records out there?

I think Nevermind still sounds really fresh. And I don't think it sounds too glossy.
It's a pretty simple recording really, and it sounds like a band, playing their asses off!
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Head

Would you consider Nevermind the most important piece of music you have had a hand in creating?
Old 17th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
I think Nevermind still sounds really fresh. And I don't think it sounds too glossy.
It's a pretty simple recording really, and it sounds like a band, playing their asses off!
Come as You are still gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it, it just sounds so honest, there's no sugarcoating to it, that's what makes it so good. Somehow Nevermind makes me feel the same way as Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, NIN's Downward Spiral or even Cabaret Voltaire's music!
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcotteri View Post
Would you consider Nevermind the most important piece of music you have had a hand in creating?
I don't know if it's the most important piece of music I produced, but it definitely had a huge impact on my life!
Old 20th June 2009
Smile

At the risk of sounding redundant:
i'd just like to say that Nevermind actually 100% kicks ass -
...and remains one of the best modern rock records today, IMO!

so, jeeeeeeez, Butch - THANKS MUCHAS for making that recording happen,
and for helping create such a fresh sounding record - just when the industry really needed it most!

it's really an honor to have you here, Butch....

(...and thanks for this, Jules - major kudos for making this happen!)

cheers,
joseph briggs, producer / composer
wired planet music

Old 20th June 2009
Gear Head

thanks Butch you're a great Inspiration
Old 22nd June 2009
Gear Nut

Nevermind (and Nirvana in general) changed my life in high school. It's why I quit the trumpet to play guitar, which led to what I do now, so thanks for being a part of it, Butch!
Old 23rd June 2009
Gear Maniac

Come As You Are

Hey Butch,

Thanks for taking part in this Q&A. I was curious if you have any inside info on the the main riff for Come As You Are? It sounds very much like Killing Joke's "Eighties" and wondered if you know if this was purely coincidental or if it was "borrowed". Also - what effect was used on the guitar to get that sound?

Thanks
Old 25th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortman View Post
Butch I saw a DVD you release where you explained recording underneath the bridge where as you wanted to capture that natural sound so you had Kurt record it on a couch with a single mic if I remember correctly.

Can you explain a little better how that process worked and perhaps the method you used, I was always intrigued by the idea, especially being the project it was.
Yeah, I saw the Classic Albums: Nevermind doco... the song is called Something In The Way, by the way ;-) ... listening to it now, knowing how it was recorded, creates the most interesting images.. Kurt just lying on a couch, barely singing, softly strumming a guitar that isn't in tune...
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Nevermind, Siamese Dream, and at least one of the Garbage albums belong in the top 10 of 90's albums, with Nevermind at the very top

Good work, Butch!
Old 26th June 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Did he also write the lyrics in the control room? Was this song just used to fill the album?
Only one verse that repeats! Funny how a lot of people would not even notice that!!
Old 28th June 2009
Lives for gear

Just wanted to say thanks for giving us such an historical album, it literally changed my life and the life of millions of other people, without nevermind I wouldn't be the same as I am today, maybe I wouldn't even play music.

Thank you so much!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search