The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Living Hero of Mine
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

A Living Hero of Mine

Dear Butch,

I have very few hero's in life (living or not). The list is short and reads something like this...

1. Jesus
2. Les Paul
3. Butch Vig

I simply want to give you the credit you are due. Your work changed my perceptions of what is/was possible in music and music production. For that I want to thank you. If anyone deserves elevation and respect for their work, it's you. Thank you for being an innovator and uncompromising.

Now on to a question. In the Garbage song "parade" (which is in my top songs of all time playlist), what is the instrument that provides that spanky strum in the intro? It sounds like a sampled guitar that was chopped and replayed on a drum sampler (MPC/etc...)....if my description is to vague please let me know and I will try to articulate better. That tone is a benchmark for me.

Again much respect to you for what you do. It's my dream to have you on one of my projects someday. Hopefully this latest project will garner the budget and interest to get you on-board.

Thanks and Respect,
Ari M.

Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-M. View Post
Dear Butch,

I have very few hero's in life (living or not). The list is short and reads something like this...

1. Jesus
2. Les Paul
3. Butch Vig

I simply want to give you the credit you are due. Your work changed my perceptions of what is/was possible in music and music production. For that I want to thank you. If anyone deserves elevation and respect for their work, it's you. Thank you for being an innovator and uncompromising.

Now on to a question. In the Garbage song "parade" (which is in my top songs of all time playlist), what is the instrument that provides that spanky strum in the intro? It sounds like a sampled guitar that was chopped and replayed on a drum sampler (MPC/etc...)....if my description is to vague please let me know and I will try to articulate better. That tone is a benchmark for me.

Again much respect to you for what you do. It's my dream to have you on one of my projects someday. Hopefully this latest project will garner the budget and interest to get you on-board.

Thanks and Respect,
Ari M.

That's a good list! I'll settle for 3rd place!

You are right about the start of Parade...we recorded acoustic and electric guitars and put them into the MPC 1000 to get that chopped feel!
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
That's a good list! I'll settle for 3rd place!

You are right about the start of Parade...we recorded acoustic and electric guitars and put them into the MPC 1000 to get that chopped feel!

the list has reasoning behind it

1. Jesus (because he taught humility and love)

2. Les Paul (because he is the complete musician, producer and recoding innovator)

3. Butch Vig (because he is the complete "producer, who plays drums"...)

mix the 3 and that's what I strive to be...

a humble producer that is uncompromising about recording technology and plays drums well (to backing tracks, which as you know, can be quite a chore)

lofty goals? why not set the bar high?

thanks for answering the question about Parade...I am assuming the electric guitar was a clean tele or strat? (or something made out of korina wood)...maybe through a DI?? just to spanky and crisp to be a mushy tube amp...maybe the sampler lends some to the attack? (lot's of maybe's eh?)

wow I can see where my plethora of questions would overwhelm...I will try to not be selfish and keep them short

on that note I have one more simple question about drums...

when you play to backing tracks (that are sequencer generated) what do you try to focus on, to keep the live drums from swinging too much? the song or the click...I have been doing this for years now, and managed to program a song (recently) with a very overt lilt (150% swing) and it's been a bear to play to....it swings so hard that the duple actually feels straight (oops)...any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari-M. View Post
Dear Butch,

1. Jesus
2. Les Paul
3. Butch Vig

just wanted to point out that 2 out of 3 of your list are from wisconsin.

(and some could argue....all three)

just sayin.

greetings from the cheese state !!

jchristopherhughes
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
just wanted to point out that 2 out of 3 of your list are from wisconsin.

(and some could argue....all three)

just sayin.

greetings from the cheese state !!

jchristopherhughes
Cheeseheads rule!

Go Pack Go!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search