The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distance when recording lead vocals.
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Distance when recording lead vocals.

When recording lead vocals, do you have a distance that you prefer to keep the singer away from the microphone? Examples of singers and distance would be much appreciated too. Thanks!
Old 20th June 2009
Lives for gear

Also, how much compression and type during tracking of lead vocals?

Thanks
Old 21st June 2009
Lives for gear

Im curious about micing distance on vocals to and also any other vocal micing techniques such as angling the mic down at the chin or something other then straight on.
Old 21st June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
When recording lead vocals, do you have a distance that you prefer to keep the singer away from the microphone? Examples of singers and distance would be much appreciated too. Thanks!
I usually put the mic about 3-4 inches away. Sometimes you'll want the singer right up on the mic is it's a quiet part.

And if it's a really loud section, and the singer has a really loud voice, you need to back them off, maybe around 12-18 inches.

Some of the older tube mics sound better with a bit more distance on the singer.

Compression: I like a lot of it on vocals. I usually set the threshold to kick down about -10, at least on the Summit TLA 100. Sometimes I'll set it even higher so the peaks kick down -20 db.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search