The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beatlesque?
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Beatlesque?

This isn't directly related to production and sorry if it sounds like a fanzine question, but I've always thought the song Special sounded very Merseybeat/Searchers/Beatle-y in essence. Did it ever start out that way?
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
This isn't directly related to production and sorry if it sounds like a fanzine question, but I've always thought the song Special sounded very Merseybeat/Searchers/Beatle-y in essence. Did it ever start out that way?
The influences in Special come from a lot of sources (like a lot of Garbage songs).
Steve came up with the basic chord progression, which initially was very Ramones-y...Duke came up with the the 12 string riff, which is very Beatles/Byrds-esque...
and Shirl did her thing with it, borrowing a few lines from The Pretenders (we sent Chrissie a letter to see if she was OK with it, and she gave us her blessing, as well as sending me a shirt that said "F**K" on it!). The back vocals also have a Beach Boys vibe, which are one of out fave bands!
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Nice to know, thank you.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
(we sent Chrissie a letter to see if she was OK with it, and she gave us her blessing, as well as sending me a shirt that said "F**K" on it!)
I just fell in love with Chrissie Hynde all over again.
Old 17th June 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
The influences in Special come from a lot of sources (like a lot of Garbage songs).
would you consider Curve to be one of those influences?

Also, I caught Garbage closing with an amazing version of 'You Look So Fine' many years ago. The live version seemed slower, more ominous & bass guitar driven live. Am I remembering correctly? Do you make a conscious effort to allow songs to evolve live?
Old 18th June 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kaufman View Post
I just fell in love with Chrissie Hynde all over again.
Check out her new record Break Up the Concrete & check out the live shows on their current tour. Saw 'em in Ann Arbor & Chrissie's totally killin' it! Fantastic show with classics & the new record. Her new git player learned all the James Honeyman-Scott 'pet licks' too! Awesome!
CMT.com : The Pretenders : Tour Dates

Sorry to OT, but I couldn't resist! heh
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search