The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording Davey Havok
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Recording Davey Havok

What was the experience like working with Davey Havok on Sing the Sorrow ?

What did you do to get the best performances out of him ?
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
What was the experience like working with Davey Havok on Sing the Sorrow ?

What did you do to get the best performances out of him ?

Davey is an amazing singer, with a wide and powerful dynamic range!

It was tricky recording his voice. Joe McGrath engineered the album, he set up the vocal chain. I'll email Joe and see if i can get him on the board here, he can answer a lot of the technical questions regarding AFI.
Old 17th June 2009
Frequalizer

Hey Butch!

The way to get a performance out of Davey is threats and intimidation. I did punch him once, but that's another story.
Anyway, here I am so ask away.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

WOO HOO !!

Thanks Butch heh
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

I'd love to know his main mic/pre/tracking-compressor/eq.

Also on for example the Leaving Song II chorus, how many times were those shouting "BREAK DOWN!..BURN NOW!.." parts layered and was it the same signal chain?

On others like Silver & Cold, you get multiple layers in the chorus. I presume it was done similarly (?). Great stuff.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMc View Post
The way to get a performance out of Davey is threats and intimidation. I did punch him once, but that's another story.
Anyway, here I am so ask away.
Ha!!!! That's a true story!!!!

After Joe gives up the sordid details on his punch, we should all meet at the Red Lion for a sausage platter!
Old 18th June 2009
Lives for gear

So what was the Vocal chain ??

Did you use many different mics to capture his very dynamic singing ?

I hear a little bit of grit or distortion when he pushes on some notes , is that actually just his voice or was it an effect you added ?
Old 18th June 2009
Frequalizer

Let me shake the cobwebs out. On Sing the Sorrow I remember that we spent half a day trying different mics (15 or more), mic pre's and compressors. We finally settled on a Blue Bottle w/B-6 capsule - Chandler TG-2 mic pre - EAR 660 compressor.
We would record in parts - singing parts, quiet singing and screaming parts. Dave does have an incredibly dynamic voice so it took a lot of riding of levels. On decemberunderground I changed up the chain a bit and on the new album I tweaked it again to suit his singing style.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMc View Post
Dave does have an incredibly dynamic voice so it took a lot of riding of levels.

We're you riding levels on the way in? If so, pre or post compressor?
Old 24th June 2009
Frequalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
So what was the Vocal chain ??

Did you use many different mics to capture his very dynamic singing ?

I hear a little bit of grit or distortion when he pushes on some notes , is that actually just his voice or was it an effect you added ?
Some of the grit you hear is good old fashioned tube distortion. Some of it on purpose, some of it, ur, got by me, but the performance was good so we used it.
Old 24th June 2009
Frequalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
I'd love to know his main mic/pre/tracking-compressor/eq.

Also on for example the Leaving Song II chorus, how many times were those shouting "BREAK DOWN!..BURN NOW!.." parts layered and was it the same signal chain?

On others like Silver & Cold, you get multiple layers in the chorus. I presume it was done similarly (?). Great stuff.
On Leaving Song II we stacked up about ten tracks of stereo gang vocals. The vocal chain was mainly the same except that I used different mic capsules on the Blue Bottle - B-6 cardioid and B-3 (?) omni. The technique as the same for all gang vocals
Old 24th June 2009
Frequalizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh! View Post
We're you riding levels on the way in? If so, pre or post compressor?
Riding was post vocal chain.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search