The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Butch Vig = Gearslut???
Old 15th June 2009
Lives for gear

Butch Vig = Gearslut???

Hi butch,

Your work is one of a few reasons why I´m into music...thanx for that!!!

here my Q waiting for A

How much of a gearslut are you...? I was wondering if your approach is either in more arty kind of way or technically.

regards

chris
Old 16th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidasHatesGold View Post
Hi butch,

Your work is one of a few reasons why I´m into music...thanx for that!!!

here my Q waiting for A

How much of a gearslut are you...? I was wondering if your approach is either in more arty kind of way or technically.

regards

chris
I've always been a closet case tech nerd! But I leave that part of my brain off most of the time when I'm producing cuz the most important thing is focusing on the songs, the vibe, and the performances.

I've been going through a microphone phase lately. I just bought a Bock 507, which sounds amazing.
Old 16th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchVig View Post
I've always been a closet case tech nerd! But I leave that part of my brain off most of the time when I'm producing cuz the most important thing is focusing on the songs, the vibe, and the performances.

I've been going through a microphone phase lately. I just bought a Bock 507, which sounds amazing.
So your technical wisdom is like tool you have always in handy if the muse strikes you?
Isn´t it hard avoid digging too deep in anothers persons music, in terms of production work?

Gear related question:

Which gear opened doors for your work as a producer?
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidasHatesGold View Post
So your technical wisdom is like tool you have always in handy if the muse strikes you?
Isn´t it hard avoid digging too deep in anothers persons music, in terms of production work?

Gear related question:

Which gear opened doors for your work as a producer?
Hmmm..good question. I can't really thing of a piece of gear that helped open doors...
I guess an overall sound sensibility of things that I liked (drum sounds, guitar tones, vocal effects, etc) is what opened doors for me.
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hmmm..good question. I can't really thing of a piece of gear that helped open doors...
I guess an overall sound sensibility of things that I liked (drum sounds, guitar tones, vocal effects, etc) is what opened doors for me.
After further thought, I think the biggest thing that opened doors was the fact that I'm a pop geek! I love hooks and melodies, and in a lot of the early punk albums I recorded, I was able to sort through the mess and bring the hooks out, or if there were no hooks, help create them.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
After further thought, I think the biggest thing that opened doors was the fact that I'm a pop geek! I love hooks and melodies, and in a lot of the early punk albums I recorded, I was able to sort through the mess and bring the hooks out, or if there were no hooks, help create them.
that is awesome, i am a very proud pop geek as well, although most of my forte is progressive metal. i commend you for being proud of what you like with no apologies.

rich
Old 17th June 2009
I use all the Line 6 Garbage patches, and I compared them to Bleed like me and... One of the patch, Herr Solo I think (Diezel VH4 patch) sounds awfully close to Bad Boyfriend... Did you guys use that patch to record the song?!? I was playing Bad Boyfriend with it the other day and couldn't believe how close it was from the album... Please let me know, I'm just really curious and can't sleep at night because of this... Well sort of .
Old 17th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I was able to hear David Bock demo this mic at a TapeOp road show. This is seriously an amazing microphone. Someday....

Mark
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
I use all the Line 6 Garbage patches, and I compared them to Bleed like me and... One of the patch, Herr Solo I think (Diezel VH4 patch) sounds awfully close to Bad Boyfriend... Did you guys use that patch to record the song?!? I was playing Bad Boyfriend with it the other day and couldn't believe how close it was from the album... Please let me know, I'm just really curious and can't sleep at night because of this... Well sort of .
We used the VH4 with some pedals for the main riff. Channel three, a 1960TV Marshall cabinet, U47fet, SM57. Herr Solo is what we came up with for Duke's live tone and I think it's pretty close to the sound. Play the riff with a Gulld Starfire III and there ya go!
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago View Post
That would be a question for Duke, as he played that riff....but I think you are right...it was done with a Pod, and I think that was the OG patch, and we probably modified it a bit...

Good ears!
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bush View Post
We used the VH4 with some pedals for the main riff. Channel three, a 1960TV Marshall cabinet, U47fet, SM57. Herr Solo is what we came up with for Duke's live tone and I think it's pretty close to the sound. Play the riff with a Gulld Starfire III and there ya go!
Hey Billy, what was that box we used that took the signal right from the back of the amp...it was super dry, and lots of white noise????
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey Billy, what was that box we used that took the signal right from the back of the amp...it was super dry, and lots of white noise????
The Palmer speaker simulator... forgot we used that as well! Great for really aggressive in-your-face sounds..
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
The Palmer speaker simulator... forgot we used that as well! Great for really aggressive in-your-face sounds..
Yeah it sounds cool, I have not used it for a while...we gotta dig it out of the locker!
Old 19th June 2009
Quote:
Sweet, thanks for clearing that up Billy. I'm still amazed at how close the live patch sounds compared to the record. I've actually tweaked the patch a bit and used it for my guitar tone on a couple of songs (which have gotten licensed on tv) so I really appreciate that you did those patches for Line 6 users, it makes my life a lot easier in my studio.

I was always a big Garbage, Nirvana, NIN fan and I've wondered if there could be a new Electro-Grunge genre appearing from that. I just hear so many similarities in the songwriting and the arrangements.

Butch, I've always wondered if you and Trent Reznor were close friends. If so, would you guys be open to a collab together? I think the end result would be very interesting.
Old 19th June 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:

yourself and Ryan Green (Ryan Greene Discography at Discogs) are absolute geniuses at sorting out the 'messes' in punk and grunge and grabbing melody and hooks. Thanks so much for your work, you're a beautiful human being!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search