The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The sonics of "Liberian Girl"
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Maniac

The sonics of "Liberian Girl"

Hello Bruce,
Would you care to let us in on how you approached mixing this song especially regarding:

1. the background vocals (thick, present, powerful yet inobtrusive, not getting in the way)

2. the many layers of synths and how you usually deal with those

I am sure the great arrangement helped but I am curious.

Any random thoughts or session anecdotes on this timeless masterpiece are welcome, as always.

Thanks again for doing this Mr Swedien

Regis
Old 6th September 2006
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaGe View Post
Hello Bruce,
Would you care to let us in on how you approached mixing this song especially regarding:

1. the background vocals (thick, present, powerful yet inobtrusive, not getting in the way)

2. the many layers of synths and how you usually deal with those

I am sure the great arrangement helped but I am curious.

Any random thoughts or session anecdotes on this timeless masterpiece are welcome, as always.

Thanks again for doing this Mr Swedien

Regis
Regis....

I LOVE LIBERIAN GIRL!!! There is something very special about that song!!!

“Liberian Girl”... Is one of my absolute favorites of all the music that I’ve done with Michael. Who could think of a thing like that, except Michael Jackson... it’s astounding.... The imagery, and everything else in it, it’s just an amazing fantasy.

I love the intro... Quiincy had Leta M’Bulu say, "NAKU PENDA PIYA - NAKU TAKA PIYA - MPENZIWE" , in Zulu, in the intro and in every turn-around... I think that sexy, little speaking line gave the “Liberian Girl” an identity in this wonderful song.... Really nice.... Michaels vocals on “Liberian Girl” are absolutely stellar! The lead, and the big, block background harmonies. Wow!!!

I am one lucky Dude!!!

Of all the music I have recorded, over the years, I am proudest of Michaels’ albums. Not only "Off The Wall", "Thriller" and "Bad", but “Dangerous”, “HIStory”, “Invincible”, and all the rest of the fantastic music that Michael, Quincy and I have recorded together. Am I a lucky dude, or what???

Bruce Swedien

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search