The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Record session with balaphon and vibraphone for tomorrow ...
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Post Record session with balaphon and vibraphone for tomorrow ...

Hi everyone and mr. Bruce Swedien,

i am here to greet The engineer who give me the desire to make this so nice "job" and who i consider as the best. Thank you for having changing my life this way ...

I realize my dream here by asking you some advices ...
Tomorrow, i have to record a session with a balaphon and a vibraphone.
What are yours advices ?
The both would like to play together.

Thanks for all.

Best regards,

Julien Apruzzese.
Old 30th August 2006
Viking

First off, what microphone's do you have????

Quote:
Originally Posted by julien_a View Post
Hi everyone and mr. Bruce Swedien,

i am here to greet The engineer who give me the desire to make this so nice "job" and who i consider as the best. Thank you for having changing my life this way ...

I realize my dream here by asking you some advices ...
Tomorrow, i have to record a session with a balaphon and a vibraphone.
What are yours advices ?
The both would like to play together.

Thanks for all.

Best regards,

Julien Apruzzese.
Julien.....

First off, what microphone's do you have????

If I were doing this session I would go for a pair of ribbon microphones on each instrument... On the vibes, the two mikes I would choose would be a pair Royer 122's. In x/y set as an ORTF pair.

‘XY microphone technique’ requires two identical microphones angled at 90º. ORTF the acronym for Office de Radiodiffusion Television Francaise (French Radio and TV) requires two microphones spread by 17cm to emulate the width of human ears, angled at 110º. This will make a very natural sounding pick-up on the vibes...

As I recall the Balaphon is the West African instrument that resembles a small xylophone. So.... Basically the same mike set-up as the Vibes...

When and if you can record these lovely instruments this way, I would like to give you a little mixing tip!!!

Bruce Swedien

Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

Bruce, you said "In x/y set as an ORTF pair" ...did you mean either or?

Why in this particular situation you decided to advice an ORTF layout instead of a blumlein pair or a standard XY with cardioid mics?

In my experience ORTF delivers a wide stereo image... I would think in order to balance these 2 instruments you would rather have one wide (ORTF) and maybe the other one a bit more closed in (XY?)...

Thanks!
Old 30th August 2006
Gear Maniac

A very nice advice ...great sound.
How i can say...? Very smooth. Like a little music box !
I will mix this duo in two weeks.
I will be honoured to receive this little mixing tip from you.
Best regards,
Julien Apruzzese.
Old 30th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Very interesting....

I have a balafon at home, I have tried to make a mono multisampling from it, I had used a '72 U87i, recording 3 dynamic levels per note....My experience with it is that it's an instrument that has an incredible amount of inharmonic transients, the choice of a ribbon should be infinitely better , the multisample I made had to be modified brutally (envelope attack smoothing) as it shows incredible high levels with a tuned component easily buried in the mix, the U87 wasn't the best choice....

I would say that a vibraphone has much more of the tuned component, recording them together could need pretty different settings for each instrument, the balafon is a tough beast i.m.o.....my next attempt could be probably to put the mic(s) under it at the biggest possible distance, because the first time I've used the mic in a very standard "slightly above" position....but I look forward to any Bruce's suggestion!

I hope that reporting my errors can be useful too....
Old 31st August 2006
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Bruce, you said "In x/y set as an ORTF pair" ...did you mean either or?

Why in this particular situation you decided to advice an ORTF layout instead of a blumlein pair or a standard XY with cardioid mics?

In my experience ORTF delivers a wide stereo image... I would think in order to balance these 2 instruments you would rather have one wide (ORTF) and maybe the other one a bit more closed in (XY?)...

Thanks!
I meant to say "In x/y, OR, set as an ORTF pair"... The ORTF is probably better. It IS wider....

In this application the ORTF can allow the microphones to be placed wider, so that the mikes hear more of the individual notes of the Vibraphone or the balafon....

Bruce Swedien

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search