The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Remember the "Alesis Midiverb" guy you invited to Record One in '89?
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

Remember the "Alesis Midiverb" guy you invited to Record One in '89?

Hi Bruce,

A way long time ago (when I was young and cocky) you called me up, out of the blue, to talk about a record I had made that you heard down on your yacht. It was a remake of "I Just Want to Celebrate". I thought the voicemail you left was a joke from one of my buddies until I called the number you left and you ended up inviting me down to hang out and talk gear/engineering at Record One. IIRC, you were mixing the Ray Charles /Chaka Khan duet on "Back On the Block".

Anyway, we never had a chance to catch up after that visit, but I thought you might get a kick out of my side of the story, and maybe it will illuminate some of why you acheived and maintained your level of success, for some of the interested readers.

You were very kind and complimentary of my work when you called (thanks), and I always considered myself a serious gearhead with some pretty advanced tech going on (I thought). To be honest, when I was heading down to Record One to see you, a part of my mind was thinking "this dude's a great engineer, but he's a good bit older than me so I'll show the old fart some new tricks". Hey, I'm just being honest about what I was thinking at the time (I said I was young and cocky)...... no offense intended.

I could go into more detail, but suffice it to say that about an hour into hanging with you, you had so completely fried my mind with the level of technical excellence you were living at, it rocked my whole reference point of what was possible. You were already doing things I had yet to even think about, and I was considered no slouch by some pretty heavy folks.

I tell you what I walked away with, and I considered these two things a gift from you.

1. I walked away knowing for a fact that it was possible to stay current, vital and relevant at an older age, even in a young man's game. You were anything but coasting or resting on past credits. That principle has had a very positive impact in my career. It's wild to think that I'm now only 5 years younger than you were when we met. I hope I'm doing us old guys half as proud as you were then.

2. I was so impressed with your excitement about learning. Just learning in general, like a kid. The fact that you were listening to music, heard something you dug, had your assistant track me down and get a number (which wasn't easy) and then went out of your way to find out how I did the things you heard was remarkable. The fact that although you were "The Man" at that point, but had no ego about asking a young punk about his methods speaks volumes. I already loved learning anyway, but your undiminished enthusiasm, even after having "done it all" was contagious and has served to turbocharge me in that area of life.

So thanks, Bruce. Your work ethic and enthusiasm were contagious, and our hang time had a permanent impact on my approach.

I'll wrap by saying this. Aspiring young men and women, you can learn a great deal from older cats. Don't underestimate the potential transfer of not just knowledge, but even more so, mindset about and approach to the task at hand.
Old 26th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Brian T you are the epitome of a stand up guy. That was the coolest post.
Something all of us can heed at any juncture in life.
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

Tell us about how you got to be the "Midiverb Guy".
Old 26th August 2006
Viking

I am going to make you the first "TOP-DRAWER - BONAFIDE -GASSER!!!" On this forum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
Hi Bruce,

A way long time ago (when I was young and cocky) you called me up, out of the blue, to talk about a record I had made. I called the number you left and you ended up inviting me down to hang out and talk gear/engineering at Record One. IIRC, you were mixing the Ray Charles /Chaka Khan duet on "Back On the Block".

A part of my mind was thinking "this dude's a great engineer, but he's a good bit older than me so I'll show the old fart some new tricks". Hey, I'm just being honest about what I was thinking at the time (I said I was young and cocky)...... no offense intended.

I tell you what I walked away with, and I considered these two things a gift from you.

1. I walked away knowing for a fact that it was possible to stay current, vital and relevant at an older age, even in a young man's game. You were anything but coasting or resting on past credits. That principle has had a very positive impact in my career. It's wild to think that I'm now only 5 years younger than you were when we met. I hope I'm doing us old guys half as proud as you were then.

2. I was so impressed with your excitement about learning. Just learning in general, like a kid. The fact that you were listening to music, heard something you dug, had your assistant track me down and get a number (which wasn't easy) and then went out of your way to find out how I did the things you heard was remarkable. The fact that although you were "The Man" at that point, but had no ego about asking a young punk about his methods speaks volumes. I already loved learning anyway, but your undiminished enthusiasm, even after having "done it all" was contagious and has served to turbocharge me in that area of life.

So thanks, Bruce. Your work ethic and enthusiasm were contagious, and our hang time had a permanent impact on my approach.

I'll wrap by saying this. Aspiring young men and women, you can learn a great deal from older cats. Don't underestimate the potential transfer of not just knowledge, but even more so, mindset about and approach to the task at hand.
WOW!!! Thanks.

I am going to make you the first - "TOP-DRAWER - BONAFIDE - GASSER!!!" - On this forum....

Bruce Swedien

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search