The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Not a gear/mixing/recording, but career question!
Old 7th May 2019
Here for the gear
Not a gear/mixing/recording, but career question!

Hi Andrew,

I would just like to repeat the echos of praise you have been given by other members.

I have a question but for this one it won't be gear based. I want to know what advice you would have for the DIY musician producer who lives away from big cities, hasn't had opportunity to attend revered audio engineering and production schools etc and does not know a lot of people within the industry?

Where would you focus your time most? Building a repertoire of skills and experience? Writing and crafting own songs to gain attention and in turn work?

I have had to change my life considerably with the hope that one day I can turn this love and passion into a career, but sometimes that seems a hard task, specially with all the cynicism regarding making a living in the music industry nowadays. For a lot of us, we work full time, save to purchase our own gear and are self taught, I even go full weeks without feeling like I can even turn on my PC because of low energy and motivation, some words of inspiration or advice would be much appreciation!

Kindest Regards,

Joe
Old 8th May 2019
Special Guest

This is really difficult to answer. One good thing is that with the online learning resources available now you can find things out and watch people work that you would never have had access to 10 years ago. Nothing will help you get better more than practice, so working on your own music or finding people to collaborate with is by far the best thing you can do. The more you can focus on what you're hearing and what you want to hear, and the less you focus on what tools you're using (or wish you owned) the better.

One thing I'll say, and it might sound a bit brutal but isn't meant in any mean way whatsoever, is that if you can't find the motivation to even switch the computer on, then maybe it's best to keep it as a hobby and try to enjoy it instead of trying to make it a career. As you point out there is a lot of cynicism about making a living in the music industry and that's because it is actually really hard. You're constantly looking for the next job and as I've said in other posts there's never a "right" answer, so you can never fully learn how to do it and you're never done trying to get better. Much better to enjoy music and working on music as a hobby than to decide you want it to be a career and hating it!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search