The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Laptop Specs
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Laptop Specs

Hi Andrew,

Firstly, thanks for your work to educate the tech companies and their future employees on maintaining audio quality in digital chains. The importance of this work cannot be overstated. It has long been a frustration of mine that leaps and bounds are made in consumer end video quality while the audio quality is still commonly less than it was nearly four decades ago. I don't see enough people (sans Neil Young) making noise about that...(I know, bad pun).

Thanks also for your work on the Scheps 73 plugin. It's affordability made it the first "pro" plugin I purchased and it has been a game changer for me; satisfying me enough to now want to work entirely ITB.
The problem is my old laptop is now the limiting factor.

I imagine that the specs for the system you may already be published somewhere. Could you please point me to them?

Cheers,
Patrick.
Old 8th May 2019
Special Guest

At the moment I am mixing on an iMac Pro. Until the iMac Pro came out I was using a succession of MacBook Pros, culminating in a 2016 15" 2.9gHz i7. I tried the 2018 models but the big problem with the laptops (and the reason I'm on an iMac) is the thermal throttling. When the computer is cold the performance is amazing, but working at 88.2 or 96kHz with processor hungry plugins it's cold for about 3 seconds and then starts to heat up very very fast. When that happens the processor is throttled down and the playback errors start. It's really frustrating as I would love to have a more portable solution. I was tempted to try the new mac Mini, but I'm pretty sure it isn't as powerful as the iMac Pro and I would miss the processor overhead. I'm really hoping the new Mac Pro will be the ticket (and be small enough to carry easily on a plane.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search