The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upward compression or parallel compression for orchestral or jazz music
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Nut
Upward compression or parallel compression for orchestral or jazz music

As an orchestral composer working primarily in the box with multiple computers, I used to have much more of my material mixed by others but find I need to do more myself these days.

For more pure orchestral work, its tricking compressing things even a little bit and maintaining the natural space and feel of the instruments. I recently got Waves MV2 mainly for the upward compression and got encouraging results. Have you ever mixed orchestra material and come up with good parallel compression approaches?

Same scenario and question for acoustic jazz!

Great that you have such an effective teaching style are are so willing to share, thanks much.
Old 8th May 2019
Special Guest

I use the exact same template no matter what I am mixing. That said, the big thing for me about the parallel compression is that you are constantly fighting the tradeoff between natural space and things interacting. I use a bit less of the parallel processing when mixing more organic sounding music which is why I have VCAs so I can really quickly back off the returns and see where I want to end up. It can be a very tricky balancing act.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search