The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The ITB Blues
Old 1st May 2019
Gear Addict

The ITB Blues

Andrew, firstly, thanks for being such a great dispenser of knowledge! I have learned more from watching you, than any other source.
My question relates to some common glitches that mixing ITB on a DAW can involve.
I have an IMac Pro that is fairly new and use Logic. It seems that often , I’m looking at the meters on any given plugin, and what I’m seeing on there doesn’t match up with what I’m hearing. I’ve tried switching buffer sizes, but it happens sometimes regardless of that change. I’d just like to see the meters reading at the appropriate time. It’s important to be able to know that I’m not seeing something that hasn’t yet happened with my audio . Do you ever experience these problems since you’ve gone ITB ? We never see you guys’ computers tell you that you’ve “exceeded your dsp “ . Does your computer ever glitch , artifact , or crash? What have you done to solve such problems?
Thanks so much!

John Scalia
Red Bean Recording
Old 3rd May 2019
Special Guest

Welcome to world of computers. Basically you're seeing the effects of delay compensation in the mixer. Your seeing when the sound is playing back from the track, not when it finally reached your output that you're listening to. Pro Tools is pretty good about compensating the meters so in most parts of the GUI you actually see what you're hearing (though not always). Plugin windows are definitely a place where the the compensation isn't always perfect. The real trick is how the DAW handles writing automation. Pro Tools is great at putting the moves you write in time with the audio you were hearing when you wrote them, but it's actually impossible to hear the moves as you make them if you are (for instance) riding volume on a source audio track and there's a long delay in your mixer. By the time you hear the bit you want to automate it's already played back a while ago on the fader you're riding.

I get playback errors just like everybody else. There are a few plugins that I love that are really processor heavy, including Elevate, which is the limiter I use on every mix. Because of that I had to move from a Macbook Pro to an iMac Pro and I'm really hoping Apple's upcoming Mac Pro will be small and portable and powerful as hell!

Keep in mind that if you're watching a video, we've edited out all the playback errors! To be fair I don't get a ton of them, but they definitely still happen. I had one this morning while tracking a vocal. Not ideal!
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AScheps View Post
Welcome to world of computers. Basically you're seeing the effects of delay compensation in the mixer.
I get playback errors just like everybody else. There are a few plugins that I love that are really processor heavy, including Elevate, which is the limiter I use on every mix. Because of that I had to move from a Macbook Pro to an iMac Pro and I'm really hoping Apple's upcoming Mac Pro will be small and portable and powerful as hell!

Keep in mind that if you're watching a video, we've edited out all the playback errors! To be fair I don't get a ton of them, but they definitely still happen. I had one this morning while tracking a vocal. Not ideal!
Andrew thanks a ton ! I can’t say enough how grateful I am for your “quirky” way of navigating a mix. I say that with respect. I have learned a great deal from you.
Yes , I’m so relieved to know that this even happens to the best of you. I too recently bought an iMac Pro 10 core. It has solved many problems , but I do notice the Waves plugins meters/ graphics especially are a bit out of sync with my audio. I shouldn’t let it bother me, but it does.
With my stock Logic plugs , it’s perfectly in sync, and with my UAD stuff , it’s mostly in sync. I want so bad to solve it, but it’s going to have to be an update of some kind to fix it.
As for the automation you spoke of.....yes, that too was a bit out of sync, until I found a preference menu in Logic that allowed for sample accurate automation with plugins.
All that said, I’m truly amazed at the performance and capabilities of modern daws! My iMac Pro was spendy, but I’m so thankful to have it. I’m able to use your Omni channel on everything, and I do! Love the DS’r section! So powerful!
Looking forward to continuing to learn from you.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search