The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gain staging to/inside the mix buss
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Gain staging to/inside the mix buss

Hi Andrew! Thanks for your time answering questions here.

Listening to something like the recent Hozier record, there's an amazing amount of level with good bottom. After reading throuh some of the other threads relating to this topic, I'm still wondering:

Do you have a set amount you either start with or stay at on the limiter? (4db, 6db? etc) or do you set it once you have a working balance and keep moving?

Or do you push into the limiter set at 0 and thus are getting into the mix buss at a higher level? If you were to remove the limiter, does the Mix buss Aux immediately go into clipping?

Since you mentioned delivery with the limiter, are you lowering the limiter output to avoid intersample peaks? Is there an output setting that you always use for this reason?

Is there a master fader used in conjunction with the mix buss aux? If so how are you typically using the master fader with Aux tracks?

Many thank yous again
Old 30th April 2019
Lives for gear

I would love some insight into this, too.
Old 1st May 2019
Special Guest

I'll quote this one to make answering the multiple questions easier.

Quote:
Do you have a set amount you either start with or stay at on the limiter? (4db, 6db? etc) or do you set it once you have a working balance and keep moving?
The limiter is always set to a threshold of -.2dB so it's just there to catch the peaks. I never set it at all, it's all about how much level goes in.

Quote:
Or do you push into the limiter set at 0 and thus are getting into the mix buss at a higher level? If you were to remove the limiter, does the Mix buss Aux immediately go into clipping?
Yup, since all it's limiting is what's over -.2 it will immediately clip if I take it out.

Quote:
Since you mentioned delivery with the limiter, are you lowering the limiter output to avoid intersample peaks? Is there an output setting that you always use for this reason?
Newfangled Audio's Elevate takes care of intersample peaks.

Quote:
Is there a master fader used in conjunction with the mix buss aux? If so how are you typically using the master fader with Aux tracks?
Yes, I have a master fader on the stereo buss called Mix Buss which feeds all my mix processing including the limiter. I use that in conjunction with all my variousl VCAs to change the gain structure throughout the signal flow of the mix.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search