The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Jake Bugg - Broken mix
Old 24th April 2019
Here for the gear

Jake Bugg - Broken mix

Hey Andrew,

Big fan of the mix and depth on Jake Bugg's "Broken". I was wondering if you could provide some insight on your approach for the song. Particularly curious about your use of reverbs/delays (what kind, if you EQ, compress, etc.) and the general vocal treatment. But would love to hear about the rest of the mix if you can recall anything else as well!

Thanks!
Old 26th April 2019
Special Guest

Just to be pedantic, I didn't mix the version that's on Jake's first record, but a different version that was recorded specially to release as a single. The only place to hear that version (as far as I can tell) is on the official video release, it doesn't seem to be on any of the streaming services. Such is life in the digital age.

I don't remember very many specifics about those mixes, but one thing I do remember is that Jake's voice was actually really tricky to mix. When he sings quietly he has a really rich and full voice, but when he sings louder the midrange builds up faster than the rest of the frequency range. I was right at the beginning of mixing that song and having a really hard time getting his voice to sit in the track, and I got an email from McDSP announcing the AE400 active EQ plugin. I immediately downloaded the demo and it was like magic! One dynamic band of eq and everything sounded great with his voice.

As far as other specifics, I don't really remember, but I'm sure I used my usual stuff, and I probably spent way too long trying to find the right reverb in Altiverb.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search