The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Non parallel compression and source multing
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

Non parallel compression and source multing

Hi Andrew, great to see you here, love the way you think.

As you obviously go full in for parallel comp sends, what kinds of things would you still most every time grab with a non parallel 'clamp straight over the source' comp? Any thoughts about this would be interesting. How likely are plugin comps to sometimes irritate you (and come back off) when the 'win - lose' feels bad and they took more than they gave?

Also, do you get into much multing things into several copies with different eq/distortion/compression/whatever, to blend back together to build sounds? Or do you do most parallel stuff with sends only?

Thanks for your time and joyously tuned in mind!
Old 24th April 2019
Additional

Does phase get messed up with ITB parallel "mults'?

If so how to deal with it?

Thanks
Old 24th April 2019
Special Guest

I'd say that 90% of my parallel processing is done with sends. Mostly because that way I can send multiple sources to the same parallel compressor.

I will sometimes compress drum overheads and rooms, vocals, pianos and other things with insert compression. Since having the Omnichannel I will try compression on an insert much more often just because it's there and available in the plugin window. It certainly doesn't always stay on though.

Your question seems to imply that there is something sub par with plugin compressors, but I would say that the trade off comes whether using plugins or hardware. Whenever you compress something there is the tradeoff between the natural, dynamic uncompressed version and the compressed version.

One time I use mults of tracks is when building special effects (infinite reverb on the tail of a word, long delays in part of a song, etc). I find it much easier to experiment and get it right when I make a copy of the audio track and put the effects right on the insert. This allows me to use audio editing to get the shape just right instead of send automation. Much more flexible and easier to experiment.
Old 24th April 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Additional

Does phase get messed up with ITB parallel "mults'?

If so how to deal with it?

Thanks
Pro Tools delay compensation works great when you use sends and auxes. Obviously with multed tracks the DAW doesn't know what you're doing. Another reason to use sends!
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Guru

Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Andrew, thanks so much for this! If i could add a follow up question, I assume you are on a pro tools hd rig, with hd hardware? Are you ever in a situation where you are mixing on a "native" rig, or headphones, and see the delay compensation behave differently?
Old 25th April 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdig View Post
Andrew, thanks so much for this! If i could add a follow up question, I assume you are on a pro tools hd rig, with hd hardware? Are you ever in a situation where you are mixing on a "native" rig, or headphones, and see the delay compensation behave differently?
Im on a native system 100% of the time when I'm mixing. Either a true native playback engine or HD Native, depending on where I am. Delay comp works perfectly if the mixer is all set up in a way that Pro Tools can figure out what's going on.
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks again! Reassuring to know that. I've spent a lot of time obsessing over this for some reason. Haha.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search