The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What’s on your Mix Bus?
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

What’s on your Mix Bus?

Hi Andrew,
I wondered if you could share with us what plugins (and settings) you typically use on your mix bus?

Many thanks,
Matt
Old 23rd April 2019
Special Guest

Less and less all the time, and it does change. I'm not going to bother with settings, but at the moment my template comes up with the following on the mix buss.

Plugin Alliance Black Box Analog HG-2: Just a tiny bit of saturation, mix is at 50% and this is staying on less and less lately.
Brainworx bx_digital v3: Tiny bit of stereo widening, and a bit of high shelf boost on the sides. I will often make use of the Bass Shift, but it defaults to off.
Pultec style eq (usually Puigtec ) adding very broad boosts at 100Hz and 10kHz.
Newfangled Audio Elevate Limiter: Keeping the red lights off.
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Maniac

No 33609? Can you talk about what motivated you to drop the compressor?
Old 24th April 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundthinker View Post
No 33609? Can you talk about what motivated you to drop the compressor?
I probably should have mentioned that! About a year and half ago I decided to make sure that everything on my mix buss was actually helping me. There were two plugins that I realised weren't calibrated for unity gain in my template (33609 and a Fairchild 670), they were actually giving me around .5 to 1dB of gain along with whatever else they were doing. Once I calibrated them better so I could just hear what they were doing I decided to get rid of them.

The Fairchild was easy, I didn't have it set to compress at all and it was also only 50% wet, I realised immediately all I liked about it was the gain.

The 33609 was much tougher. I've been mixing with 2264as (on my console) and then the 33609 plugin on my mix buss for years (and years). With the 100ms release time it has a really special character to it, especially on drums. Over the years though I had gotten tired of what it does to vocals on that setting, it just makes them a little less organic and natural sounding (as any compressor would, on the vocal or on the buss). Over time I was leaning more and more to wanting to get rid of it, and as soon as I level matched so I could properly A/B I found I liked my mixes better without. It's still in the template (deactivated) and every once in a while I'll pop it on just to see if it would work on a particular mix, but I don't think I've used it on anything in over a year. At the moment I almost never have any compression on my mix buss.
Old 24th April 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AScheps View Post
At the moment I almost never have any compression on my mix buss.
Though of course technically a limiter is a compressor and I do have one of those...
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Nut

Hi Andrew! It's awesome to have an opportunity to ask you a question, thank you for doing this! I have a followup question: do you use any processing on submixes (drums, bass, synths, guitars, vocals etc.)?
Old 24th April 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mixer View Post
Hi Andrew! It's awesome to have an opportunity to ask you a question, thank you for doing this! I have a followup question: do you use any processing on submixes (drums, bass, synths, guitars, vocals etc.)?
Not usually, and almost never on entire groups of instruments except possibly the drum kit. It all changes for each mix.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search