The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing on headphones
Old 18th April 2019
Here for the gear
Mixing on headphones

Hi Andrew, thanks a lot for doing this Q&A! You are known for mixing on headphones a lot. What pairs do you prefer and why? Do you use frequency response correction to get them flat or some kind of crossfeed plug in to make the cans sound/act more like monitors? Any insight in your itb headphone mixing is highly appreciated, thank you a lot!
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Addict

Headphone mixing

Hi andrew,

Thanks for doing this Q & A It's super to have access to your brain for a few days
We won't kick it around to much

Ive heard that you sometimes mix on headphones, which is something a lot of us non-pros (bedroom warriors) have to do through necessity. We are most likely using headphones as we are constrained with the amount of noise we can make, neighbours etc.

I'm just wondering in your experience, is it better to mix on headphones than to mix in an untreated room with average monitors?

Do you use a particular model of headphone for mixing?

Have you any tips on the use of headphones for mixing?

Thanks again
Old 18th April 2019
Two questions for the price of one!
Old 18th April 2019
Special Guest

I do mix in headphones quite a lot. It started because I was travelling a lot and needed to keep working. Then when we first moved to the UK I didn't have an ideal place to set up my speakers so I mixed a lot on headphones and then checked everything on speakers before sending it out. The more time I've spent on headphones, the fewer changes there are when I switch to the speakers. I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones, but I think it's because I'm just used to them and they also sound like the Tannoy SRM-10B speakers I mix on. They are bright but relatively flat.

I wouldn't recommend mixing on headphones for everyone, but it is a great way to take control of your acoustic environment . You're basically wearing your studio on your head and it sounds exactly the same no matter where you go!

I never use frequency response correction software or any crosstalk functions. I think for me I just hear the extra processing, even though it might make it more like an acoustic environment. But remember, there are no right answers to things like this, and the whole point is to have a listening environment where you can be creative and your mixes translate to whatever system somebody might listen to your mix in.
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AScheps View Post
I do mix in headphones quite a lot. It started because I was travelling a lot and needed to keep working. Then when we first moved to the UK I didn't have an ideal place to set up my speakers so I mixed a lot on headphones and then checked everything on speakers before sending it out. The more time I've spent on headphones, the fewer changes there are when I switch to the speakers. I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones, but I think it's because I'm just used to them and they also sound like the Tannoy SRM-10B speakers I mix on. They are bright but relatively flat.

I wouldn't recommend mixing on headphones for everyone, but it is a great way to take control of your acoustic environment . You're basically wearing your studio on your head and it sounds exactly the same no matter where you go!

I never use frequency response correction software or any crosstalk functions. I think for me I just hear the extra processing, even though it might make it more like an acoustic environment. But remember, there are no right answers to things like this, and the whole point is to have a listening environment where you can be creative and your mixes translate to whatever system somebody might listen to your mix in.
Great answer Andrew,
Thanks for that
Old 23rd April 2019
Gear Head

Your go-to headphones to mix and headphone amps

Hi Andrew!

Huge fan of your work!

I am wondering what your go-to heafphones are for mixing. I live in an apartment so can’t make that much noise and mix on my speakers all day, so I have been mixing on my akg 240k headphones. I am pretty used to the sound and have an alright idea of how good music sounds like on these, but would love to hear what you use if you ever mix with headphones.

Thank you kindly!
Old 23rd April 2019
See Andrew's answer above
Old 28th April 2019
Gear Guru

Can I throw one on the end here, please...

When on headphones, what are you plugging those Sony's into? Straight in the laptop (macbook?) when on the move, or some little interface or little Audioquest stick or anything at all? When in your studio, what drives the cans if/when you use them for mix checking?
Old 29th April 2019
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Can I throw one on the end here, please...

When on headphones, what are you plugging those Sony's into? Straight in the laptop (macbook?) when on the move, or some little interface or little Audioquest stick or anything at all? When in your studio, what drives the cans if/when you use them for mix checking?
In my studio I use my Apollo Twin as the headphone amp. I've really gotten used to it. There are times when I switch to my HD Native card for overdubbing and then I run SPDIF optical from the HD I/O to the Apollo and still use the twin for the headphone amp.

When traveling I usually have the twin with me because I need UAD chips anyway, but in a real crunch I'll use whatever I can get (though the built in headphone outputs on the Macbooks don't sound great) but I try and remember to bring my Audioquest Dragonfly).
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search