The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rear bus, & Analog summing.
Old 17th April 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Rear bus, & Analog summing.

Hello, Thank you for the opportunity.

I have been Re-watching all of your online interviews and lectures lately.

However, I can't seem to find the one where you explained your rear buss & glanced over the idea of recreating "Analog summing" ITB.

I would Love if you could go into detail about both.

-Shane
Old 18th April 2019
  #2
Or link to the video
1
Share
Old 18th April 2019
  #3
Special Guest
 
AScheps's Avatar
 

There are a few videos where I talk about the "rear buss", but basically it's a parallel compressor for everything in the mix except the drums. It helps glue the instruments and vocals together and make them interact. Typically it's a multi-mono 1176 plugin with a low ratio, slow attack and fast release. I have no idea how much it's compressing, sometime a lot, sometimes almost nothing. The key is that the sends to it are at 0 and post fader, so basically you are making a copy of your mix (minus drums), compressing it and then blending it back in with the uncompressed tracks.

It doesn't have anything to do with summing, it's just glue.

It's called the rear buss because I started doing it when I was still mixing on my Neve 8068 console (which is a quad console), so I had a stereo buss feeding the speakers and a second stereo buss that was meant for the rear speakers in a quad setup.
28
Share
Old 19th April 2019
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Thank you for clarifying the rearbus, I found the problem I was having when I was experimenting with the concept I completely forgot to “Follow main pan”.


As for the “emulate analog summing”part, I apologize for the confusion. I meant that in the video I cannot find you mentioned why you don’t see the need for analog summing, and then “glanced over” a way to “Recreate” the same effect itb.

Thank you again.
-Shane


Quote:
Originally Posted by AScheps View Post
There are a few videos where I talk about the "rear buss", but basically it's a parallel compressor for everything in the mix except the drums. It helps glue the instruments and vocals together and make them interact. Typically it's a multi-mono 1176 plugin with a low ratio, slow attack and fast release. I have no idea how much it's compressing, sometime a lot, sometimes almost nothing. The key is that the sends to it are at 0 and post fader, so basically you are making a copy of your mix (minus drums), compressing it and then blending it back in with the uncompressed tracks.

It doesn't have anything to do with summing, it's just glue.

It's called the rear buss because I started doing it when I was still mixing on my Neve 8068 console (which is a quad console), so I had a stereo buss feeding the speakers and a second stereo buss that was meant for the rear speakers in a quad setup.
Old 22nd April 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AScheps View Post
There are a few videos where I talk about the "rear buss", but basically it's a parallel compressor for everything in the mix except the drums. It helps glue the instruments and vocals together and make them interact. Typically it's a multi-mono 1176 plugin with a low ratio, slow attack and fast release. I have no idea how much it's compressing, sometime a lot, sometimes almost nothing. The key is that the sends to it are at 0 and post fader, so basically you are making a copy of your mix (minus drums), compressing it and then blending it back in with the uncompressed tracks.

It doesn't have anything to do with summing, it's just glue.

It's called the rear buss because I started doing it when I was still mixing on my Neve 8068 console (which is a quad console), so I had a stereo buss feeding the speakers and a second stereo buss that was meant for the rear speakers in a quad setup.
How much of the rear buss do you tend to blend back in (very little, a ton, etc)? Is there something you are looking for in particular as you bring that parallel chain into the mix?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 23rd April 2019
  #6
Special Guest
 
AScheps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbergjunk View Post
How much of the rear buss do you tend to blend back in (very little, a ton, etc)? Is there something you are looking for in particular as you bring that parallel chain into the mix?

Thanks,
Jeff
Generally I have a master fader turning down the input to the Rear Buss by around 6 dB and then the output of the aux with the rear buss compressor on it is at 0. I don't know how much gain (or attenuation) there is going through the compressor. It's hard to describe what I'm looking to get out of it. I never tweak it unless unless something sounds really wrong, and then I usually only change the amount being sent to it with the master fader. It's very much a feel think at this point.
3
Share
Old 23rd April 2019
  #7
Special Guest
 
AScheps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShane518 View Post
As for the “emulate analog summing”part, I apologize for the confusion. I meant that in the video I cannot find you mentioned why you don’t see the need for analog summing, and then “glanced over” a way to “Recreate” the same effect itb.

Thank you again.
-Shane
This could be a ridiculously long answer but the short version is that when I was transitioning back into the box from the console I tried all sorts of summing options and liked the sound of summing in the Pro Tools mixer the best. Just a personal preference.
3
Share
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump