The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
5.1 surround sound
Old 16th July 2017
Here for the gear

5.1 surround sound

could you tell us about the decision to mix / release music in 5.1? or was it colundi that made you do it, and you don't question it...

also do you have any interest in VR technology? your releases triggered for me some ideas of immersive listening experiences, translating multi channel music to a sort of interactive soundscape. using stereo headphones, and not necessarily a visual headset. perhaps already been done...?
Old 19th July 2017
Aleksi Perälä

I don't question it! I've been doing surround stuff before, on and off, but it really hit me over a year ago, and everything I've done since then has been in surround environment. I find that gives you a wider sound field even in stereo mixes.

It would be nice to release everything in surround sound, however I'm yet to find a suitable medium for this, other than DVD and Blu-Ray. There doesn't seem to be a high demand for surround music.

I would love to have a surround sound system in the car.

Would be great to release an album in VR, like a surround space where you navigate through different tracks as different places. On surround sound system or a headset. One idea would be to give the listener a joystick or a controller... say you start from the middle and if you 'move' forward you start hearing track one (entering space one), you move forward left and start hearing track 2, forward right track 3 and so on - if you're halfway through you hear both etc. Would be interesting to navigate through these invisible spaces; dimming the line between a track and virtual space. It would be different every time, as you navigate through the album in a new way each time.

Making music in VR could be really great, can't even imagine all the possibilities.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search