The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your own personal scale?
Old 16th July 2017
Here for the gear

Your own personal scale?

With hundreds of music scale alternatives to 12 TET, you choose a simple non mathematical approach. Today we dont have to fit intervals on 12 keys of a harpsichord. We have the entire hearing range at our fingertips, a dial on an oscillator. Yet many still cling to the idea of having a system to divide things up the old fashioned way.

Please <moderator edit> clarify for the audience why and what influenced your arbitrary list (sequence) of notes/frequencies so they can make their own personal sequence to try? Lottery numbers, birthdays, orbit periods, cell phone radiation... what holds a significance for you to incorporate them into your list?

Last edited by Reptil; 16th July 2017 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Title changed (subject) - edit
Old 16th July 2017
Aleksi Perälä

I haven't made the list of colundi frequencies; I've got nothing to do with it. I just follow it like a purist : )

My friend Grant (he used to run Rephlex) made it, you'll have to ask him.

I don't know the answer. The main thing is that we have it. I am grateful that he discovered it.

No lottery numbers there, but the physics of us human beings witnessing it on this planet, in this solar system, in this universe, at this time.

I think of it as re-discovering the list - it's been there as long as humanity.

It all started going wrong when they started applying maths to tuning instruments in ancient Greece.

How much do we really know about the 300 000 years of human history?

Also, you ask why? Why colundi? Because it's there and it's more powerful than any other set of frequencies I know of.

It is natural.
Old 17th July 2017
Here for the gear

Thanks for sharing. In response to your query, we know as much about human history as our overlords permit, and this varies greatly by location/culture/oppression/quality of our education.

I think that the great minds of western music, like the ancient greeks gave us the mathematical understanding of music and its relationship with the mathematics present throughout nature/universe. It was a core belief to comprehend nature and to copy it. Its only in recent history we have been exposed to todays standard 12 tone equal temperament, which is bland, colorless, and obscures the great power of music/sound to uplift and connect people to the divine forces. No hodgepodge of frequencies can even compare to that. Music is math. Math is found throughout nature. Follow nature, not the flawed ideas of an ever decaying understanding.
Old 17th July 2017
Grant Wilson-Claridge

i use tx 81z and emu proteus units (with custom made 128 key controller from midi boutique, made from old petrol station operating/payment equipment) these do microtuning, but there are lots of possibilities, we're tuning an old piano at the moment, i think aleksi uses a computer or his family members as instruments but not sure
it's not just music or microtuning tho, more of an alchemy, or a combination to unlock
a means of conjuring.

http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/micro_af.html

http://xenharmonic.wikispaces.com/Li...ftware+Plugins

u can make colundi waves in free audacity with this code in the nyquist prompt:

(defun c-tone (hz g)
(let ((c-array (make-array 2048)))
(dotimes (i 2048)
(setq x (- 1 (/ i 1024.0)))
(setf (aref c-array i) (sqrt (- 1 (* x x)))))
(setf positive (snd-from-array 0 1024 c-array))
(setf negative (mult -1 positive))
(setf *c-table*
(list (seq positive negative) (hz-to-step 1.0) t))
(mult g (osc (hz-to-step (* 4.0 hz)) 1 *c-table*))))

(c-tone 440 0.8)

where the last line is freq and amplitude

PS there is a spreadsheet from the colundi group which examines all the multiples and divisions of each of the 128 frequencies which are them selves one of the colundi values. this can be very useful for composing, especially when working with pi and tau factors etc. (tau is very important i think). it also lists the tempo for each note, which can also be useful.

be careful when conjuring magic, that it's not black magic.

colundi was first channelled to earth via the cyclops, the ancient egyptian/mesopotanian<->south american civilizations, wisdom passed via Flavius Claudius Antonius, arriving in Britain at the end of the Dark Ages. Discovered in the tomb of Saint Edward King and Martyr by John Wilson-Claridge towards the start of our last century, then presented to Grant on his 33.3rd birthday by the elder colleagues, owing to his/colleagues' exploration and propagation of braindance thusfar. so continuing the old work was vestigial; because it was complete.

when we have intercontinental node coverage and the colundi autocomposer software has been completed, this will be the perfect way to present more frequencies so if you are handy programming, please get in touch via colundi.net.
We need a hybrid, roughly between midiswing 0.3.6 (java) and fugue machine (for apple) that 5 year olds and 105 year olds can use. the current process is a little painstaking. I use a ruler and pencil (or coreldraw) and convert milliseconds to millimetres then subdivide that into akai mpc duration, in order to make pure patterns. i personally do not get on with looking at computer screens while making music because I only have limited hearing via my eyes. the color/shape conversion is tiring for my old human brain. it's surprisingly hard to get help with such development; this is why the whole process is slower than it needs to be. but hey ho... colundi everyOne... colundi.io

Last edited by colundi; 17th July 2017 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: more info provided
Old 17th July 2017
Thank you for chiming in
Quote:
made from old petrol station operating/payment equipment
So that is the mysterious controller!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search