The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Welcome Aleksi Perälä!
Old 12th July 2017
Welcome Aleksi Perälä!

In this summer Q&A we have Aleksi Perälä as guest.
In this post I'll try give you a short introduction to his work, and production.

Aleksi grew up in the seventies and eightties. Growing up in a country village in Finland At age twelve he heard, like many, the sounds of the acid rave from Ibiza, London and Manchester on the radio. This stirred something in him. He just had to create something for himself, so he did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident Advisor
"That's the whole beauty," he says. "Because you hear only a few tracks that define the genre for you. And you want to hear more but you can't. You can tape some stuff off the radio but not enough. So that's what made me want to start making music. To fill in the gaps."
When he was on a student exchange in the USA, Aleksi was inspired when he heard Aphex Twin tracks. So much so, that, when he found out about the label Rephlex he started sending demo tapes.
Aleksi during his youth learned to play an instrument, he was trained in classical piano.
Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-aleksi-perala-close.jpg
Photo credit: Resident Advisor
In 1999 (after sending many demos) Aleksi's first album "Lactavent" was released under the moniker Ovuca. Two albums; "Onclements" and "Wasted Sunday" followed, both containing rhythmic and more melodic tracks,

Starting 2001, Aleksi released a few albums as Astrobotnia.

Aleksi developed his sound, publishing on Rephlex and through a sublabel AP Musik.

During this time he studied Music Technology in Helsinki, and this prompted him to explore different systems of tonality, different from the equal tempered 12 tone western one.
Quote:
"It's interesting how it developed over the centuries," Perälä says. "How did it come to this? OK, we have concert tuning, say 'A' is 440hz. But how did we end up with that? It's like we've accidentally developed this thing called music. My beginning of making music was that I played piano for seven years—before I found out about synthesisers and that was the end of playing the piano. I think it's part of that process. You're brainwashed into this at some stage—the 12-note tuning system. And then as you start experimenting with other things you gradually walk away from that. Forget it. Start with a new thing."
Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-boomblast_goed.jpg
Image: Rephlex Records
On his website he listed a number of these microtunings he experimented with.
Quote:
"It all started from 33hz and then built up from that," he explains. "From just one frequency per octave, I went to using two frequencies per octave, then three, four, five all the way up to 32."

Then something happened, which would have a profound effect on his ideas of music production.

Rephlex chef Grant Wilson-Claridge and Aleksi, came up with a special microtuning, which was dubbed "Colundi".
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wire
“Instead of dividing the keyboard into octaves with semitones, we have chosen specific frequencies to work around... The scale is 128 resonant frequencies chosen via experimentation and philosophy, each relating to a specific human bio-resonance, or psychology, traditional mysticism or belief, physics, astronomy, maths, chemistry.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Wilson-Claridge
ditch the whole chromatic scale. explore the colundi sequence, where each note is based on several specific biological/physical/chemical/mental/emotional resonances. e.g. 90-111Hz - Beta Endorphin range. 126.22Hz - 32nd octave of Earth year, The Frequency Of The Sun, Color=Green, Tempo=118.3 BPM, centering of magic, Hara(chakra). there are 128 specific frequencies in the scale.
On the Colundi website you can find the different tunings plus examples.
Aleksi said this about it:
Quote:
"It's so potent that you have to be careful of it. Because we are right at the beginning of it still. But Colundi will take care of that. It takes care of me talking to you now."
What resulted was a period of productivity which resulted in a huge amount of releases. And it's not filler either, each of the Colundi Sequence releases is different in it's content. Most of these are available as high quality FLAC, but on Clone Records a number have also been re-released as vinyl albums on their Clone Basement Series sublabel. The Rotterdam based label is also releasing new material such as a new album Simulation X

It's impossible to list all the Colundi period releases here, I suggest you go check them out yourself. Here's a few (in random chronological order).

Here's a picture of the "Rephlex Master Control", a customized Colundi Sequence keyboard. (Sadly the text on the keys has been blurred. )
Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-colundi_sequence.jpg
Photo credit: The Wire (edition 362)

Last but not least, Aleksi performed live and as DJ.

Here and here you'll find the upcoming tour dates:
Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-alexiperala-bywinvanwambeke-540x300.jpg
Photo credit: Wim van Wambeke - CTL Festival (DE)

Welcome to Gearslutz, Aleksi! Let's have some fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-alexiperala-bywinvanwambeke-540x300.jpg   Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-colundi_sequence.jpg   Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-boomblast_goed.jpg   Welcome Aleksi Perälä!-aleksi-perala-close.jpg  
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search