The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interesting signal processing
Old 8th July 2017
Gear Head

Interesting signal processing

Hi Joel,

I seem to remember you talking on Tapeop a few years ago about pushing things like gain plugins to extreme lengths in order to get interesting artefacts, and other similar techniques. Have you developed any unusual methods with the UAD stuff?

Thanks!
Old 14th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neier View Post
Hi Joel,

I seem to remember you talking on Tapeop a few years ago about pushing things like gain plugins to extreme lengths in order to get interesting artefacts, and other similar techniques. Have you developed any unusual methods with the UAD stuff?

Thanks!
Hi there!
There are techniques that I constantly try to refine every time I record something-- which thankfully is like every single day.
The stuff I do works quite well with the UAD stuff because it responds well to creative usage.
The fact that the UA stuff combined with outboard gear and a console is such a great unique sound but also I can count on the UAD 660 working every day and not freaking out and sounding different on day 2 of a mix... is truly amazing.
Also the unison stuff has been a thing that freaks me out in a good way: put a 610 up on the horns and let it RIP into the converter and what I got was a sound that brought Vintage goodness to mind rather than "oops I clipped the crap out of this one" to mind.
Also I will run an internal sux in protools sometimes and use the BX20 UAD plug coming out of a pair of channels, using it like a hardware return, A LOT. I will EQ the return on the channels on my console (like a high pass or whatever) and it just feels so alive--- there is something great about those verbs that goes beyond the obvious modeling stuff...
Old 14th July 2017
Just finished browsing the video for an hour.... and will probably go back again to re-watch it in full. But wow, thanks again! It was great.

I just wanted to agree again here with Joel in that UAD plugs are the most creative out there. I think my aha moment was when I realized that you can actually find hidden non-linear pockets inside UAD plugins (very similar to analog gear) and exploit it. What I mean there are actual sweet spots in the plugins, these create creative opportunities to do interesting things rather than just hitting a vocal preset and getting some instant effect. To me this is the strength of the UAD stuff and why I enjoy using it.
Old 14th July 2017
Gear Head

Great, now I'm really going to have to get an Apollo and start collecting plugins for it!

Thanks for the info and thanks for 'It's a Wonderful Life' - very significant album for me when I was growing up :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHamilton_ View Post
Hi there!
There are techniques that I constantly try to refine every time I record something-- which thankfully is like every single day.
The stuff I do works quite well with the UAD stuff because it responds well to creative usage.
The fact that the UA stuff combined with outboard gear and a console is such a great unique sound but also I can count on the UAD 660 working every day and not freaking out and sounding different on day 2 of a mix... is truly amazing.
Also the unison stuff has been a thing that freaks me out in a good way: put a 610 up on the horns and let it RIP into the converter and what I got was a sound that brought Vintage goodness to mind rather than "oops I clipped the crap out of this one" to mind.
Also I will run an internal sux in protools sometimes and use the BX20 UAD plug coming out of a pair of channels, using it like a hardware return, A LOT. I will EQ the return on the channels on my console (like a high pass or whatever) and it just feels so alive--- there is something great about those verbs that goes beyond the obvious modeling stuff...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search