The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My questions for Joel Audio Interfaces
Old 6th July 2017
Here for the gear

My questions for Joel

Joel & Fab great to have YOU!!! and THANk YOU UAD & PUREMIX!!!....

1. What is your approach for gain staging at first and you final Mix goal levels before Mastering?
2, What is your favorite Mic pre amps?
3. What is your favorite DA/AD and Mixing song bit depth & sample frequency?
4. Which UAD products do you use for your Mix and you would recommend to have as a MUST?
5. How much compression do you use and DSP/Analog/hybrid?
6. Are your mixes fully analog/Digital/hybrid? Any tips on this
7. Your toughest challenge ever as a Mixing engineer
8. Tips you might have for us

THANK YOU in ADVANCE!!!
Old 6th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnix333 View Post
Joel & Fab great to have YOU!!! and THANk YOU UAD & PUREMIX!!!....

1. What is your approach for gain staging at first and you final Mix goal levels before Mastering?
2, What is your favorite Mic pre amps?
3. What is your favorite DA/AD and Mixing song bit depth & sample frequency?
4. Which UAD products do you use for your Mix and you would recommend to have as a MUST?
5. How much compression do you use and DSP/Analog/hybrid?
6. Are your mixes fully analog/Digital/hybrid? Any tips on this
7. Your toughest challenge ever as a Mixing engineer
8. Tips you might have for us

THANK YOU in ADVANCED!!!
9. Joe what is better for mixing digital or analog electric guitars.
Old 6th July 2017
Here for the gear

Hi Guys,

Do you track with a lot of plug-ins or do you go minimal on the way in and add mostly in the mix stage?

Thanks,
Jeff Hendershot
Conroe,Tx.
Old 7th July 2017
Here for the gear

Expansion

Hi guys,
Can I expand the Apollo 8P with an optical connection to an 8 channel preamp?
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpotpipe View Post
Hi guys,
Can I expand the Apollo 8P with an optical connection to an 8 channel preamp?
You sure can! Any mic preamp with ADAT outputs can be added to an Apollo via the ADAT inputs on the rear. I would humbly suggest a Universal Audio 4-710D :-)
Old 8th July 2017
Here for the gear

How much difference in the recordings using UA Unison verses any other good interface???? Latency?
Old 8th July 2017
Hey everyone - please don't just reply to this thread with questions - they might get missed. Start a new thread using the big orange 'NEW THREAD' button on the top left of the subforum. Thanks!
Old 8th July 2017
Here for the gear

Awesone session.!! Great Mix at the end impressive!!!
Old 8th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mie music View Post
How much difference in the recordings using UA Unison verses any other good interface???? Latency?
Unison actually changes Apollo's hardware to interact with the microphone, as well as controlling the gain sweet-spot, so you get spot-on emulations of the classic preamps it's modeling. You can check out how well this works in this video with Jacquire King:

Jacquire’s Shoot Out: Vintage Analog Hardware vs. Apollo & Unison Plug-Ins. - Blog - Universal Audio

No other interface comes close.

As for latency of other preamps plugged into Apollo via ADAT, it's entirely dependent on that external preamp's converter latency.
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit View Post
Unison actually changes Apollo's hardware to interact with the microphone, as well as controlling the gain sweet-spot, so you get spot-on emulations of the classic preamps it's modeling. You can check out how well this works in this video with Jacquire King:

Jacquire’s Shoot Out: Vintage Analog Hardware vs. Apollo & Unison Plug-Ins. - Blog - Universal Audio

No other interface comes close.

As for latency of other preamps plugged into Apollo via ADAT, it's entirely dependent on that external preamp's converter latency.
hi scott, that brings a question to mind .. if there are two different converters when using the ADAT input (Apollo & insert ADAT converter here) then should we still adhere to NOT multi-miking across 2 different converters or there might be a timing issue ??

and how does UA deal with this using the 4-710 D pres/converter attached to the ADAT input ??

thx john
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hi scott, that brings a question to mind .. if there are two different converters when using the ADAT input (Apollo & insert ADAT converter here) then should we still adhere to NOT multi-miking across 2 different converters or there might be a timing issue ??
Yes, exactly. It's traditionally not a good idea to spread stereo pairs, or any phase-coherent mics across different digital boxes.

Quote:
and how does UA deal with this using the 4-710 D pres/converter attached to the ADAT input ??

thx john
That's a good question. I don't know off hand what the latency of the 4-710D converter is, but I'll find out...
Old 9th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, exactly. It's traditionally not a good idea to spread stereo pairs, or any phase-coherent mics across different digital boxes.

That's a good question. I don't know off hand what the latency of the 4-710D converter is, but I'll find out...
hi scott, thx again .. standing by for the 4-710D reply ..

cheers john
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

So I check with the lab, and the 4-710D is a little quicker than Apollo (likely due to less "stuff" going on). The differences are quite small:
  • 1X sample rates = 67 samples
  • 2X sample rates = 73 samples
  • 4X samples rates = 149 samples

Since the Apollo has no way of knowing what kind of converter you're plugging into the ADAT inputs, there's no way to compensate for differences.

Cheers!
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I check with the lab, and the 4-710D is a little quicker than Apollo (likely due to less "stuff" going on). The differences are quite small:
  • 1X sample rates = 67 samples
  • 2X sample rates = 73 samples
  • 4X samples rates = 149 samples

Since the Apollo has no way of knowing what kind of converter you're plugging into the ADAT inputs, there's no way to compensate for differences.

Cheers!
thank you sir .. interesting ..
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search