The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
eq and compression on rock vocals
Old 6th July 2017
Here for the gear

eq and compression on rock vocals

Hi there
I was wondering if you had any guide recommendations re settings for eq and compression on rock vocals so they stand out but don't overpower a track?

Many thanks

Craig Duncan.
Old 7th July 2017
Here for the gear

I am never worried about the vocal "overpowering" a rock track. If it even feels like it is getting close, I will turn the guitars up...
Compression is a way to get the tone I liked to hang in a mix where I want it to hang, instead of where the rest of the stuff going on starts to mask what I like about the source... so I wind up with a bunch of layers of compression on a vocal sometimes, of the other variables Inform that move- and sometimes it is just the one on the SSL and maybe an LA2A or an mpressor in the rack. Or the SSL channel comp and two plug in compressors and a de-ess plug like the UA precision de-ess which I use all the time.
Old 7th July 2017
Here for the gear

Also the vocal is something I start with and also wind up doing final tweaks to when listening to the print sometimes.... like finding the mid that makes it come back to feeling natural but without too much pain in the chorus...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search