The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reason 8 Announced by Propellerhead! DAW Software
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Reason 8 Announced by Propellerhead!

Propellerhead have just announced Reason 8!

Looks like there's quite a big change this time round compared to Reason 7.

Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear
They will discontinue the line 6 amp stuff for the softube ones. They updated the interface/browser … It doesn't look like a 129$ upgrade but more a free update honestly.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Not the most exciting update but as I'm upgrading from Reason 6.5 it's worth it.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyGirl View Post
They will discontinue the line 6 amp stuff for the softube ones.
The line 6 will stay. I think I saw it in the promo video and they're big on backwards compatibility.
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
The line 6 will stay. I think I saw it in the promo video and they're big on backwards compatibility.

From the reason 8 FAQ:

With the new guitar amps coming in Reason 8, what happens with the Line 6 amps?
In addition to the new guitar and bass amp devices introduced in Reason 8 and Reason Essentials 8, the Line 6 Guitar and Bass devices are still available. Please Note: In order to support future product development, the Line 6 guitar and bass amp devices will no longer be available in the Reason rack by October 2016. In order to prevent any future compatibility issues, Propellerhead recommends that you render to audio any tracks that use the Line 6 devices. Alternative amp models will be available in Reason 8 and later.

https://www.propellerheads.se/produc...n/reason8/FAQ/

From 6.5 and prior it is a nice upgrade indeed, but from 7 … not so much (for the price).
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

I am still on 5.0. Doesnt look much different from 7.0 to me. However i am upgrading to 7.0 this weekend.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I use Pro Tools 10 and FL Studio 11, switch between the two daws every other month or so, have had the Reason 7 demo on my comp for a while now, never got around to really exploring, but sat down last week and made a quick track in it, and have been GAS'ing for it for the past week and a half now. I knew 8 was around the corner. With them downplaying the Rack, it looks like any other DAW now, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. I really like the instruments in Reason and the (ease of) automation. I really found the SSL style mixer a joy to use. Balls... I have a sinking budget for either Reason or a Monomachine. Not sure, but looks like Reason may have to come first. Anyway, just sharing my thoughts. Looking forward to Reason 8!
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny91 View Post
Propellerhead have just announced Reason 8!

Loads of info about it here.

Looks like there's quite a big change this time round compared to Reason 7.

um, anybody notice the "load of info about it here" shameless link to a store which is pitching the product? There is no more information on the link there than there is on properllerheads website... smh
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Hmm - Ive got a copy of reason 7 I got with a controller I no longer own. I wanna like it but the Sequencer kills me. I like uncuttered but really? If they improve that I might use it
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

From their site - They say the devil is in the details, and Reason 8 packs a slew of small improvements to the workflow. Double-click to add notes and double-click notes to delete them. Resize from both edges and duplicate notes with a quick command. Tracks are named after the patch you load. Plus many more… The whole program looks different. Might be good. Just read that again. Im surprised in 2014 that DAWs are STIll implementing this stuff. Patch names in the sequencer - new. ??. When will DAW makers understand ehat we really want - a tool to connect the external and internal in one place - not a glorified audio spreadsheet. LIke Cubase will display the patch name of the external synth - thats smart and every daw should do that
Old 7th August 2014
Whats new in 8?

- drag and drop
- resizing
- renaming tracks
- new amps

Is that it?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

looks that way. but for me that has been the hing holding me back. Felt like a homebrew kinda thing. The sequencer is simply the worst on the market so i hope theyve concentrated on that
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Nut

*yawm..

Try harder Propellerheads.
Old 7th August 2014
Still a great DAW...very reliable and stable. Be good to see some options for different mixer models...maybe mixer RE's...as good as Mixbus or Slate. Izotope are making some interesting products that would suit Reason.

I guess the upgrade price isn't too bad considering the Softube amps.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear
What's wrong with the sequencer? I find it easier to use than everything else when it comes to MIDI and automation. Audio editing isn't Pro Tools good or at least it wasn't in 6.5.
Old 10th August 2014
I am a bit flabbergasted at the *yawn* responses to this announcement, both here and elsewhere (including the usually over-the-top-fanboi-ish PH forums). This is obviously a major, major code rewrite - the entire GUI has been completely revamped, and they have finally put an emphasis on easy/intuitive workflow in the sequencer. Those are Big F'n Deals (TM), yet because there is no big "WOW, COOL!!!" feature like RE's or a new instrument, the general response has been "meh, not worth my $130"...

Which goes to show just how right the marketeers are - it doesn't matter if you actually care about your users (punters), just give them shiny things to brag about and all will be ok...

Seriously, I'll take workflow and architecture improvements over flash-bang features (Loopmash, anyone - though I must admit I do use that one) any freakin' day of the week. Do they get me as "excited" as RE's or Audiomatic or [insert feature here]? No, not really. But when it comes down to it, they are the things that really matter to me as I use the program - so, ask yourself, why the "meh"?
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Addict
people are jaded and overloaded with options, and feel the need to diss software they don't really use
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dented42ford View Post
I am a bit flabbergasted at the *yawn* responses to this announcement, both here and elsewhere (including the usually over-the-top-fanboi-ish PH forums). This is obviously a major, major code rewrite - the entire GUI has been completely revamped, and they have finally put an emphasis on easy/intuitive workflow in the sequencer. Those are Big F'n Deals (TM), yet because there is no big "WOW, COOL!!!" feature like RE's or a new instrument, the general response has been "meh, not worth my $130"...

Which goes to show just how right the marketeers are - it doesn't matter if you actually care about your users (punters), just give them shiny things to brag about and all will be ok...

Seriously, I'll take workflow and architecture improvements over flash-bang features (Loopmash, anyone - though I must admit I do use that one) any freakin' day of the week. Do they get me as "excited" as RE's or Audiomatic or [insert feature here]? No, not really. But when it comes down to it, they are the things that really matter to me as I use the program - so, ask yourself, why the "meh"?
"yawn" because I expect a lot from propellerheads. consider yourself as a mixing engineer and forget about the midi. what do you get from reason beside that shiny SSL relatively speaking to Harrison Mixbus? Does it sound analog? not even close. Once Harrison Mixbus releases the MIDI technology I just don't see the usefulness of reason, even though I have so many rack extension that I bought and regret. Knowing how good mixbus sound is killing me.
have you seen the distance between the input gain and the fader?
do you call this a workflow? flow my a$$
considering how big the ssl chanal strip is, you gotta have at least a save button. they never brought it. workflow??????
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallworld View Post
"yawn" because I expect a lot from propellerheads. consider yourself as a mixing engineer and forget about the midi. what do you get from reason beside that shiny SSL relatively speaking to Harrison Mixbus? Does it sound analog? not even close. Once Harrison Mixbus releases the MIDI technology I just don't see the usefulness of reason, even though I have so many rack extension that I bought and regret. Knowing how good mixbus sound is killing me.
have you seen the distance between the input gain and the fader?
do you call this a workflow? flow my a$$
considering how big the ssl chanal strip is, you gotta have at least a save button. they never brought it. workflow??????
Dear god, could you be whining about a more irrelevant thing? Seriously, your Big Complaint (TM) is how far the Input Gain is from the Fader? How often do you actually USE Input Gain? I know that I pretty much only use it when I'm setting initial levels, either at recording or at import of other files. 90% of the time, I don't even bother - I just set volumes at the clip level or via automation. So, Input Gain is a set-and-forget, just like on a "real console". That, a big workflow killer does not make. YMMV, of course...

Oh, and a save/recall function for the SSL would be nice, but I don't really find it a deal-killer in any way. There just aren't that many functions to keep track of, just like on a real 9k - how hard is it to remember (basic) EQ/Comp/Gate settings? There are like 10 knobs! Recall would be nice, and I'm sure it will come eventually, but how useful, on a day to day basis, would it really be?

Mixbus? MIXBUS?!? Seriously? That thing is a nightmare! Sure, it sounds good for some things, but it is unstable as all get out and unruly to even get open. Yes, I own a license - who could pass up their stupid sales - but I can't remember the last time I bothered with it. Don't get me wrong, it sounds pretty good, but there is nothing about its architecture that can't be replicated - even Audiomatic, when used with some taste, isn't far off the saturation - and let's not get started on the sheer number of workflow nightmares of that chimera.

I am primarily a mix engineer, and yet I can't seem to fathom why you'd be so up in arms about fundamentally irrelevant issues. I use Reason primarily as a song sketch pad (along with Live, Renoise, Maschine, and whatever else happens to inspire the project), not a "serious professional mix environment". The R8 workflow improvements are all in the "songwriting" vein...
That being said, I have done mixes in it before for S&G, and it performed more than admirably. And that was version 6!

I'm not saying Reason is perfect, nor that there isn't room to improve. I'd like to see a well-implemented PDC scheme (which is a lot easier said than done, with the modular architecture) and some sort of VST/AU bridging capability before I even begin to bitch about the perfectly functional mixer. I'd love to see those per-unit saves you referred to. I'd love to see an integrated piano-roll pitch editor (not that there is anything wrong with Neptune, it just has a degree of remove compared to VariAudio/Melodyne/FlexPitch). I'd love to see more built-in dynamics devices - what is there is excellent for what it is, but far from comprehensive. I'd like to see ReWire work both ways, so that I can start a song in Cubase and use Neptune (don't ask, I like the voice synth).

I'm sure I could come up with a dozen other examples - but a new browser, drag and drop, and MIDI-editing smoothing would have pretty much topped my list of features to add. Those are the things that actually affect my day-to-day use of the program, a helluva lot more than lack of VST support or the distance to adjust the silly gain knob!
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Addict
Just bizarre to use Harrison Mixbus as some kind of benchmark for Reason, which is obviously a completely different program with completely different features and goals.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Mixbus is not stable. It also should not be a benchmark for Reason, or any software for that matter!
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

I like Reason. It's fun.
Old 11th August 2014
Personally I've found Mixbus to be as stable as Reason (although I'm not using 3rd-party VST's).

Reason is a fun, creative DAW that sounds great BUT there are better ways to sum ITB...IMO Propellerheads should rise to that challenge.

There are a few other functions where Reason is lacking: for example, I use ReSync for video with Reason but it's very basic and doesn't have the workflow of a dedicated Reason device/RE.

Overall, having been a user for over a decade, I think Reason is good value and provides the means necessary to produce great music.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
If Reason 8 will be all one nice tidy screen with an easier way to select patches, etc... might be worth the upgrade for me.

I don't really touch Reason at this point b/c I work primarily in my DAW and use Reason as one big workstation. But selecting patches is annoying so I usually go to my softsynths or Motif first. But... this looks nice and inspiring.

Looks like it's worth demo'ing at least, for me.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
Just watched the main vid. Browser looks very nice, but $120+ to upgrade from Reason 7 to 8 for a browser, drag n drop, and cleaning UI is a little expensive.

I might upgrade if I have some extra cash but... this is pretty far down on my upgrade list.
Old 11th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Personally I've found Mixbus to be as stable as Reason (although I'm not using 3rd-party VST's).

Reason is a fun, creative DAW that sounds great BUT there are better ways to sum ITB...IMO Propellerheads should rise to that challenge.

There are a few other functions where Reason is lacking: for example, I use ReSync for video with Reason but it's very basic and doesn't have the workflow of a dedicated Reason device/RE.

Overall, having been a user for over a decade, I think Reason is good value and provides the means necessary to produce great music.
(bolded and underlined the really important part that everybody should remember)

Gotta disagree with you on the "better ways to sum" - in digital audio, there is really only one way to sum - addition!

The trick is processing the sums to make more sense, or to act more like a console. There is nothing Mixbus is doing under the hood that you couldn't replicate in Reason - it will be labor-intensive, to a point, but not difficult. Just use a lot of sub-mixes (stick to 8 if you want to mirror Mixbus) and stick a comp and a saturator (Audiomatic in tape mode isn't half bad) on each bus, along with the master bus, and you've essentially got the same "summing engine" that Mixbus uses. The magic there is in the routing and ease of the console, not the "summing bus"!

Oh, and Mixbus is perfectly stable without 3rd party stuff - as well as spectacularly limited. And it is still a PITA to even open the program, due to the finickyness of Jack. Trying to compare Reason to Mixbus is basically impossible - though I see why people try, they do look similar on the surface in some ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Just watched the main vid. Browser looks very nice, but $120+ to upgrade from Reason 7 to 8 for a browser, drag n drop, and cleaning UI is a little expensive.

I might upgrade if I have some extra cash but... this is pretty far down on my upgrade list.
Once again, I'll point out that things like "a browser, drag n drop, and cleaning UI" are SPECTACULARLY expensive and difficult to code, compared to something like another instrument. They are also MUCH more important to your day-to-day use than anything else that the PHeads could possibly add. Seriously, what do you interact with the most? Do the new things make your job easier? Why is that not worth your $130, if it saves you 5 hours of work a week?!?

It doesn't SEEM as impressive or "cool" as The Next Big Thing (TM), but in the shake out, these "little improvements" are actually the best thing they can do for the program, and for the user base!
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Once again, I'll point out that things like "a browser, drag n drop, and cleaning UI" are SPECTACULARLY expensive and difficult to code, compared to something like another instrument. They are also MUCH more important to your day-to-day use than anything else that the PHeads could possibly add. Seriously, what do you interact with the most? Do the new things make your job easier? Why is that not worth your $130, if it saves you 5 hours of work a week?!?

It doesn't SEEM as impressive or "cool" as The Next Big Thing (TM), but in the shake out, these "little improvements" are actually the best thing they can do for the program, and for the user base!
I mean it does look like a worthwhile upgrade... especially if you use Reason as your primary. I used be Reason-only actually, before I found all these amazing VSTs that Reason can't touch. So I get it.

But... for someone like me who uses Reason as a superhuman sound module, $120+ is steep for an upgraded UI/ workflow enhancements, etc.

I agree that workflow is everything for someone who uses Reason as their primary, and that indeed looks worth the price of admission once it rolls out, for that type of user. But for me... it's far down my totem pole to justify it at this point.

I'll probably upgrade. But not until I grab a few other things first and pay off some debt lol. I'm not in a rush.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Once again, I'll point out that things like "a browser, drag n drop, and cleaning UI" are SPECTACULARLY expensive and difficult to code,
And also... I'm aware of that.

I'm not arguing the price. Just stating that the use I would get out of Reason at that price is not worthwhile for me and how I use Reason.
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Addict
The thing with the Props is that they often chuck in a free instrument to encourage the upgrade, so if they do that again it softens the blow. Plus there will probably be some more small but useful extras, patches and the like.
Old 11th August 2014
Quote:
Gotta disagree with you on the "better ways to sum" - in digital audio, there is really only one way to sum - addition!..
For my needs, Mixbus definitely has a better way to sum than Reason...more depth, more plausible soundstage, better definition and separation of instruments, etc. - I hear that with music made using Slate, Nebula, etc....also music that is summed in hardware.

I'm sure the Mixbus tape FX makes a difference but there is definitely some critical aspect of summing ITB that Reason doesn't do as well in comparison IMO.

Not sure why

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search