The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reason Instruments vs VSTs? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st March 2014
  #1
207638
Guest
Reason Instruments vs VSTs?

Hey, so I already own Reason (had to buy it for a college course) and I know that many people use it for sound design. Personally I use Ableton as my main sequencer and mixer, I can't stand Reason's sequencer in way shape or form, and I've been thinking about using Reason's instruments for sound design.

However, disregarding cost, are there no VSTs out there that are arguably as good, if not better, than Reason's instruments? I know Thor, Malstrom, Subtractor, etc... are considered very high quality but I mean considering how old they are I'd imagine NI or some other VST company would've surpassed them by now. If I could have a setup that only utilizes Ableton with VSTs that would be ideal but if Reason's instruments really are that essential then I'll stick with it.

Any thoughts?
Old 1st March 2014
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
jimi7777's Avatar
 

Reason's virtual instruments are just as good or bad as any other. Its like asking is a Stratocaster better than a Gibson, or an orange or a banana. Thats a very personal question. Use the format your favourite DAW supports and the instruments that sound good and are easy to use. Both platforms have good options.
Old 1st March 2014
  #3
207638
Guest
That's the most politically correct answer I've ever seen. Yes, there are preferences but I think there is a reason sylenth1 is rated greater than it's alternative subtractive VAs. And no I'm pretty sure I'm comparing oranges to oranges. Why don't you play with a 40 dollar guitar than instead of a gibson? Because clearly everything is made equal in your eyes
Old 1st March 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Naugo's Avatar
 

Jim's answer is correct, though.

It's not just "yes there are preferences", it's ALL preference. It is a completely subjective matter. To say one is better than the other is an incorrect statement, you can only say that one is different than another. Every VA vst has its place and its own unique character. Sylenth is different from Thor is different from Diva is different from Operator is different from Spire is different from Zebra is different from Z3ta....etc.

None of them is objectively better than another, the better / worse debate exists only in your own head, as it is a competely subjective matter. There is no way to answer your question to make you happy because you seem to think that measuring the quality of a soft synth is something that can be done, it really can't.
Old 1st March 2014
  #5
207638
Guest
Well I was looking for opinions on if people believe there are VSTs of similar or better quality, so that "answer" doesn't help anybody. I'm not going to buy every VST known to man to see which I consider better, there is a reason forums were made.
Old 1st March 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Naugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
Well I was looking for opinions on if people believe there are VSTs of similar or better quality, so that "answer" doesn't help anybody. I'm not going to buy every VST known to man to see which I consider better, there is a reason forums were made.
Read my edit. Almost every VST can be demoed. You are asking an unanswerable question.

ANd you can use Reason and Ableton simultaneously if you really are fond of the Reason instruments, you know.. there's a little thing called Rewire that you need to look into.
Old 1st March 2014
  #7
207638
Guest
I disagree
Old 1st March 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Naugo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
I disagree
You disagree with what? You might want to check your ego at the door when people are trying to help you
Old 1st March 2014
  #9
run, megalodon
Guest
I never hear anyone on the net talking about how Reason's instruments are the best there are. In fact the only thing I can remember hearing about the issue is people complaining that lack of vst support is limiting. So, yeah, vst is definitely a good option. The vast majority of people are developing for VST ; they don't want to limit their profit to the users of only one daw, so it would stand to reason that there is more to be found in that domain. There are many great VSTs out there.
Old 1st March 2014
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
jimi7777's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
That's the most politically correct answer I've ever seen. Yes, there are preferences but I think there is a reason sylenth1 is rated greater than it's alternative subtractive VAs. And no I'm pretty sure I'm comparing oranges to oranges. Why don't you play with a 40 dollar guitar than instead of a gibson? Because clearly everything is made equal in your eyes
The reason I would go for gibson is (even though I dont have one) is playability, quality of the fretting etc. These guitars last long, are reliable and very comfortable to play. The 40 dollar guitar or the free synth1 sound as good or as bad as you think they are.
If a plugin crashes often its worse, if you aim best moog emulation there can be better vsts. But not at sounding apealing in the eye of the beholder.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Reason has its uses but I do not rate the synthesisers, as to my ears they sound thin. Omnisphere is an example of a VST synth that is simply on another level to anything in Reason. But then it costs as much as Reason.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
That's the most politically correct answer I've ever seen. Yes, there are preferences but I think there is a reason sylenth1 is rated greater than it's alternative subtractive VAs. And no I'm pretty sure I'm comparing oranges to oranges. Why don't you play with a 40 dollar guitar than instead of a gibson? Because clearly everything is made equal in your eyes

Here's a tip. Spend a lot of time downloading and investigating demo software. That way you'll answer your own questions, learn a bit, and you'll make fewer asinine threads.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #13
run, megalodon
Guest
Wow, you guys are the ones that need to see something here. This guy just wants some straight talk about his prospects switching platforms. Instead he gets a lecture about how "actually different people have different opinions" and this is the only "correct" response to his post which frankly is a bit insulting to his intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
...are there no VSTs out there that are arguably as good, if not better, than Reason's instruments?...
If you're new to the VST world as this guy clearly is the issue with demoing stuff is that you don't know what's out there and even if you demoed a bunch of stuff you still don't know what you'd be missing. So naturally he asked people who have knowledge of the whole scene.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
jimi7777's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Wow, you guys are the ones that need to see something here. This guy just wants some straight talk about his prospects switching platforms. Instead he gets a lecture about how "actually different people have different opinions" and this is the only "correct" response to his post which frankly is a bit insulting to his intelligence.


If you're new to the VST world as this guy clearly is the issue with demoing stuff is that you don't know what's out there and even if you demoed a bunch of stuff you still don't know what you'd be missing. So naturally he asked people who have knowledge of the whole scene.
We just tell the same truth any experienced musician would tell. Go out there and listen for yourself. There are plenty of threads about vsts to get some big names. Asking if they better than Reason's won't lead to reasonable or helpful answers at all. It's the what's the best microphone question all over again.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #15
run, megalodon
Guest
You're not getting it. He did not ask whether reason or vst is best. Thread borked.

Edit. He stated his question pretty clearly multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
...are there no VSTs out there that are arguably as good, if not better, than Reason's instruments...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
...I was looking for opinions on if people believe there are VSTs of similar or better quality...
The "correct" answer, the "truth," is really simple. It's just "yes." Yes, vsts are as good as Reason instruments. There's no reason to add all these platitudes to the mix. I think you have to be at least a bit caught up with this idea that all noobs are just looking for "the best" thing so they can make "the best" beats or whatever to miss that. If you just give this guy a little credit it would not be hard to see that his question is not that simple.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Wow, you guys are the ones that need to see something here. This guy just wants some straight talk about his prospects switching platforms. Instead he gets a lecture about how "actually different people have different opinions" and this is the only "correct" response to his post which frankly is a bit insulting to his intelligence.


If you're new to the VST world as this guy clearly is the issue with demoing stuff is that you don't know what's out there and even if you demoed a bunch of stuff you still don't know what you'd be missing. So naturally he asked people who have knowledge of the whole scene.
The guy's bought Reason for a college course so presumably is receiving an education in this field and has tutors on hand. He also uses Ableton. Hardly smacks of a rank amateur.

So let's look at his question:

Quote:
However, disregarding cost, are there no VSTs out there that are arguably as good, if not better, than Reason's instruments?
'Are there no VSTS' asks for a clear yes/no answer whilst the 'arguably' side allows for semantics and subjective opinion.

So I'll reply back and say 'There are VST instruments out there that are worse, as good as, and better than Reason's instruments. Go and find some!'.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
...are there no VSTs out there that are arguably as good, if not better, than Reason's instruments?
NI's Komplete had just about everything I needed, after I moved on from Reason.

Guitar Rig Pro's 'Container', is even similar to Reasons Combinator.. for stacking and controlling effect chains.

There's really so many synth and sampler options in Komplete.. it's hard to keep track. Between the basic stand alone synths, and all the stuff you can do with Reaktor.. you should be covered.

Also many drum and percussion options with Kontakt and Battery.

So, Komplete is my one-stop answer to breaking free from Reason. Of course (as others have mentioned), you have an entire world of VST options to choose from as well.

In addition to Komplete, I went with Superior Drummer, Trillan, Electri6ity and (just pre-ordered) Acou6tics to cover all my drums, basses and guitars. Also bought into some iZotope mixing and mastering tools to top everything off.
Old 2nd March 2014
  #18
run, megalodon
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfeltdawn View Post
The guy's bought Reason for a college course so presumably is receiving an education in this field and has tutors on hand. He also uses Ableton. Hardly smacks of a rank amateur.
He's taking a course to learn music production, so he's not an amateur....
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump