The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just out of curiousity... Does propheads no longer support rewire?
Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear

Just out of curiousity... Does propheads no longer support rewire?

Is rewire done? Is it all over? The latest version of Reason doesn't even have it...

What's the deal?

Old 12th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf LeProducer View Post
Is rewire done? Is it all over? The latest version of Reason doesn't even have it...

What's the deal?

As of Reason 11 it now is available as plugin in most DAWS, so Rewire is not needed...
You can still use it in older versions of Reason and co install the older version alone with 11 and use it on any previously recorded sessions
Old 12th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
As of Reason 11 it now is available as plugin in most DAWS, so Rewire is not needed...
You can still use it in older versions of Reason and co install the older version alone with 11 and use it on any previously recorded sessions

Thanks. I'm not even using Reason. I use Renoise and Cubase. I was asking for a friend...

Old 5th September 2020
Lives for gear

Rather than start a new thread, I'll tag along here. Does Reason's abandonment of Rewire have any downsides? Get the use-as-VST thing, but I'm not widely knowledgeable to know if there might other factors which might come into play regarding Rewire.
Thanks.
Old 6th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
Rather than start a new thread, I'll tag along here. Does Reason's abandonment of Rewire have any downsides? Get the use-as-VST thing, but I'm not widely knowledgeable to know if there might other factors which might come into play regarding Rewire.
Thanks.
I don't think it matters for Reason users now that Reason is basically VST, people rarely if ever Rewire Ableton Live anymore...

I was asking because I use Renoise, and sometimes I Rewire Renoise into Cubase...

I was just curious. Not much of a downside. Only in the rarest of users does this actually make a diff.

Notice, "the very low response to the thread."
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear
From a Reason perspective, I've "converted" many Cubase / Reason (ReWire) projects to Cubase + Reason (VST3) projects and I have only encountered one drawback, and that relates to items which are self contained inside projects. There seems no way to do this in the VST3 plugin version, which means that everything ends up using absolute paths. If you move a project to a different directory, Reason doesn't find the samples anymore, and worse than that, it doesn't alert you while loading the project (like Kontakt does), so you only realise after sounds are missing.

That's honestly a rather big flaw imho.

However, apart from that, using Reason in a "proper" DAW is imho significantly better with the new implementation. I hated ReWire when I used to use it, it's the biggest PITA ever invented in the music production world. Most DAWs never supported it fully (Ableton Live was the best) and opening two apps and saving two sets of project versions .... always a pain.

If you're using ReWire with other software, then yeah, it may be a concern since it's a Propellerhead / Reason Studios technology.
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I would say this is not accurate advice.
After attempting to convert my projects to to RRP's it's a no-go for all but simple parts, and there are quite a few issues.
In short, RRP is no substitute for Reason rewired into your DAW.

- no import of songs/projects
- no sequencer or automation import
- issues loading RRP in some cases in Cubase
- samples being lost, in my case A-list guitars I have to recreate the rack every time I load some projects.
- no multi-timbral support so one sound per RRP only. (although it does have good multi-out support)
- not stable (for me) to run RRP alongside older rewire Reason

I also just found out from support that I can't get a Reason 10 download link after purchasing Reason 11.

Taking all this into consideration along with continued payment required for version updates, I would strongly warn users to evaluate purchasing Reason 11.
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
I would say this is not accurate advice.
After attempting to convert my projects to to RRP's it's a no-go for all but simple parts, and there are quite a few issues.
In short, RRP is no substitute for Reason rewired into your DAW.

- no import of songs/projects
- no sequencer or automation import
- issues loading RRP in some cases in Cubase
- samples being lost, in my case A-list guitars I have to recreate the rack every time I load some projects.
- no multi-timbral support so one sound per RRP only. (although it does have good multi-out support)
- not stable (for me) to run RRP alongside older rewire Reason

I also just found out from support that I can't get a Reason 10 download link after purchasing Reason 11.

Taking all this into consideration along with continued payment required for version updates, I would strongly warn users to evaluate purchasing Reason 11.
TO CLARIFY my post was an observation (not "advise") as you call it . I did not say get 11 and forget older versions I said (again for clarification, as opposed to imagination ) that as of 11 Rewire is no longer required to run in another DAW , but still is required and works fine in older versions, as per my actual post....................

So now for more clarification. You have 11 and an older version of Reason installed and it won't run the older version ??
Or ??? you are trying to run projects made in older versions on 11 (Which BTW,,, I did not say would work or "advise" to do )
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Support definitely gave you the wrong information there. Login to your Reason Studios account and simply browse to https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/reason10 to grab Reason 10.

Modify the URL to get older versions too, it works all the way back to Reason 6.

For updates, you can browse to
https://www.reasonstudios.com/download/updates_reason5/ and again similar for earlier versions.

Hope this helps!
📝 Reply