The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Perhaps I should use Reason?
Old 30th January 2020
Perhaps I should use Reason?

Okay, I'm still trying to decide which DAW to use. I know that once upon a time (many many years ago) I made music in Reason, and it was very fun. I liked the rack and the workflow. It really felt pleasurable to me, and it feels a lot more solid/stable than cubase.

However, I used Reason before it became a DAW. And I'd like some help confirming some things as for what Reason is now.

Firstly...
1. Can Reason's latest versions literally replace other DAWs, sequence and record external hardware etc? Can external audio be piped into Reason and processed through Reason's FX/filters/etc?

2. Can third-party VSTs (like Arturia or Native Instruments plugins) be used in Reason (and mixed and sequenced in Reason, routed through Reason's FX, etc)?

3. Can I basically use Reason by itself, without Cubase or DP or Logic etc., just Reason and plugins, and my actual physical hardware, and be able to do everything including the mixing and mastering etc. all in the same program?

If the answer to all three of those questions is "yes," then I have to ask about sound quality. Does Reason "sound worse" than other DAWs if one is using plenty of external hardware and plugins and stuff?

If so.... if Reason can do everything I need (sequence and record and process external hardware/instruments/audio inputs, play along with high quality software synths and samplers etc)... is there any compelling argument AGAINST going back to Reason? I mean I like the Reason workflow and found it very damn fun to use.

I presume Reason plays well with 24/96 audio quality right?

I apologize for the relatively stupid questions, but any advice or confirmation or such from actual users would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 31st January 2020
Gear Maniac

Except for sounding worse. It sounds just fine.
Old 31st January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post

Except for sounding worse. It sounds just fine.
Well that's certainly an enthusiastic endorsement!

I'm very, very close to deciding on reason since apparently it can do everything I want, and apparently if I just use good plugins it can sound as good as any other DAW.

And it has a good price as well as a workflow I find fun and is software I have used before.

So if the sound quality is perfectly respectable by contemporary standards I'll be buying it.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 6th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudiodeKadent View Post
Well that's certainly an enthusiastic endorsement!

I'm very, very close to deciding on reason since apparently it can do everything I want, and apparently if I just use good plugins it can sound as good as any other DAW.

And it has a good price as well as a workflow I find fun and is software I have used before.

So if the sound quality is perfectly respectable by contemporary standards I'll be buying it.

Thank you for your advice.
Hey there! Stefan from Reason Studios here. Glad to hear you're interested in buying Reason. I just wanted to suggest that you can get a free 30 day trial on our website so you can give it a go before deciding. Check it out: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/tryreason

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 7th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDream View Post
Hey there! Stefan from Reason Studios here. Glad to hear you're interested in buying Reason. I just wanted to suggest that you can get a free 30 day trial on our website so you can give it a go before deciding. Check it out: https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/tryreason

Stefan,

Thank you very much! I have used Reason once before (distant past) and I do enjoy its workflow and creative process, so I am very inclined towards getting the newest version and using that.

Thanks again!
Old 8th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDream View Post

Stefan,

I hate to bother you again but I downloaded the demo and wow... Reason has expanded so much since I first tried it! Its really impressive, not to mention it still has that wonderful spirit of fun tinkering and experimentation that really makes the creation process a pleasure.

But I must ask... in the demo version, is there a way to "init patch" your synths? I just want to play around from the inits, see how everything goes etc.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Nut

Right-click somewhere on a device and select 'Reset device'. This effectively loads an init patch into the device.
Old 12th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez21 View Post
Right-click somewhere on a device and select 'Reset device'. This effectively loads an init patch into the device.
Thank you very much!

After a few days of playing around with Reason, I've decided to make it my DAW. I make electronic music and it does everything I need, and I'm already somewhat familiar with the program even if it has changed a lot over the years. So I think I'll be going with that in the future.

Thanks again!
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Addict

Reason does what you like and so much more! Its so deep l cant explain here. Its my #1 Daw! S1v4 is my second DAW.

The sequencer in my opinion is MPCish! Sounding great! You have a great emulation of the SSL 9000k and every track gets that. Now to mix a great track is up to the person!

You can do:
1. Electronic music
2. Trap
3. Hip Hop
4. Pop
5. RnB
6. Dance Hall
7. Reggae
8. EDM
Etc!

Third party companies have upped their game with Refills which are super superb! I have bought cheap refills from ebay no less than $9 and sound bananas!

I have done my complete project in it.

You're going to have to spend a couple of years on it and you will see. Ive had ut since version 3.

Some will go as far as saying its the best DAW. I know for a fact it has things other DAWs don't. For example what DAW you know can open up four sessions of Reason simultaneously? Good luck trying that with other DAWs. The only gripe l have is the mastering suite. Its archaic , l master in S1v4 which is more modern. If Reason had a mastering setup like S1v4 , OMG
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudiodeKadent View Post
Thank you very much!

After a few days of playing around with Reason, I've decided to make it my DAW. I make electronic music and it does everything I need, and I'm already somewhat familiar with the program even if it has changed a lot over the years. So I think I'll be going with that in the future.

Thanks again!
That's awesome, mate! Glad to hear that. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions, either here or through Reason's social channels. Cheers!
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear

Okay, I'm still trying to decide which DAW to use. I know that once upon a time (many many years ago) I made music in Reason, and it was very fun. I liked the rack and the workflow. It really felt pleasurable to me, and it feels a lot more solid/stable than cubase.

However, I used Reason before it became a DAW. And I'd like some help confirming some things as for what Reason is now.

Firstly...
1. Can Reason's latest versions literally replace other DAWs, sequence and record external hardware etc? Can external audio be piped into Reason and processed through Reason's FX/filters/etc?

--> The external audio recording in Reason is in my opinion second to none. It's a little like pro Tools format wise, but it's so hassle free, and you also have the option of doing anything you want with a plethora of rack devices on the input of you so choose. Reason also allows you to quickly select any midi track and record that into an audio track. You can also record samples, chop them up name them, edit the clips, and then quickly import them into Reason's NNXT sampler and from there have multi sample instruments or whatever you wish to do.

2. Can third-party VSTs (like Arturia or Native Instruments plugins) be used in Reason (and mixed and sequenced in Reason, routed through Reason's FX, etc)?

--> Yes. I use everything from DUNE, Synthmaster, TONE2 stuff, etc. These plugins all work flawlessly in Reason 10. All processing in the rack that you decide to create can be applied to any of the third party plugins in the same way that they are applied to Reason's own instrument plugins.

3. Can I basically use Reason by itself, without Cubase or DP or Logic etc., just Reason and plugins, and my actual physical hardware, and be able to do everything including the mixing and mastering etc. all in the same program?

--> Yes, that's what it does. I'v used a lot of different DAW's. Nothing touches Reason for power, speed, and elegance. The most notable attribute for me is the lack of complexity and the speed at which you can get things done in Reason. It doesn't get in your way or waste your time.

If the answer to all three of those questions is "yes," then I have to ask about sound quality. Does Reason "sound worse" than other DAWs if one is using plenty of external hardware and plugins and stuff?

--> DAW's don't sound "better, or "worse". That's a total myth. Audio quality is about your audio interface and your production skills.

If so.... if Reason can do everything I need (sequence and record and process external hardware/instruments/audio inputs, play along with high quality software synths and samplers etc)... is there any compelling argument AGAINST going back to Reason? I mean I like the Reason workflow and found it very damn fun to use.

--> I'll never use anything else. Propellerhead got this so right. It's all there, and then some.
Also, it's extremely stable. It never crashes.

I presume Reason plays well with 24/96 audio quality right?

--> yes

I apologize for the relatively stupid questions, but any advice or confirmation or such from actual users would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th June 2020
Here for the gear

I just recently got back into producing and it has everything I need and I haven't even scratched the surface of it's capabilities or my own.

#Scary
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear