The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone here use Reason for live performances? Keyboard Controllers
Old 4 days ago
Anyone here use Reason for live performances?

Anyone here use Reason on a laptop for live performance? As in, using the sequencer for both playback and as a Reason Instrument/RE/VST host? I just upgraded my Mac Book Pro with an SSD with more capacity, so I've been loading more of my VST instruments into it. If you do use it live, please share your setup and some performance tips.

I'm planning to do a set playing live house music at an outdoor street festival in my neighborhood next month, accompanied by a live percussionist. I plan to have my MBP w/Reason, a USB controller keyboard (I currently own a Novation Impulse 61 in the studio but am open to getting another controller just for live use), and play a Nord Stage 3 keyboard live. The USB controller would play additional synth parts/samples, and I'd also use the knobs/sliders to manipulate synth parameters and effects live.

I also sing and plan to route a mic input into Reason to use the vocoder live, and possibly route a dedicated output from my audio interface into a Heil talkbox.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey there! I use Reason live with my band Red Cell. It's a really slim and basic setup where I use one Reason project per song. The projects consist of one audio backing track and then I have one or several synths that I play and switch between.

To switch between synth tracks, I've gone into Addition Remote Overrides and mapped "Next track" and "Previous Track" to buttons on my keyboard.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDream View Post
Hey there! I use Reason live with my band Red Cell. It's a really slim and basic setup where I use one Reason project per song. The projects consist of one audio backing track and then I have one or several synths that I play and switch between.

To switch between synth tracks, I've gone into Addition Remote Overrides and mapped "Next track" and "Previous Track" to buttons on my keyboard.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Thanks! What controller are you using?

Yes, I'm also using one project per song here. I prefer to use the sequences instead of full audio tracks since it's less disk space, and I can do things like mute/solo tracks or even have substitute tracks. For things like loops and background vocals, I will have them as partial audio tracks, and the automatic time stretching on Reason is a big help. I do plan on playing most of the songs like a "DJ set," beatmatching or transitioning between songs, as opposed to playing one song, stopping, and starting the next one.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search