The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bitley's new Reason tutorial overload!
Old 5th April 2019
Bitley's new Reason tutorial overload!

Chaka Khan & Moroder Funk!

Detroit Techno production

& the result;

Going through an old remix of mine

Checking the WBF R2 refill and tweaking a favourite patch

Enjoy & subscribahz welcome!
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

I think these particular Chaka Khan styles, came by way of the style demos which were provided with the Oberheim Performance System. not sure who programed those up but the style is a kind of Fusion of Jazz Rock & Funk. I've never really seen anyone comment about this. as far as I know, I'm the first one to do so. though I'm certain someone else must have in some circles. it could be an interesting story about technology and the nature of musical influences. it might have been Moroder who originally made the demos. but it could have been someone else. I'm not really sure.
Old 5th April 2019
I think it was a combination of many things; the band called The System got employed to do loads of these programming sessions, even for Phil Collins & "Sussudio". Arif was working with Chaka and Scritti Politti got connected along those lines as well,... and today we can be inspired by it and try creating new stuff
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

sure, but the demo that came with the Oberheim Performance System is like the Chaka Khan hit. if it came out before Chaka Khan utilized it to make the hit, that would be an important historical question in musical history. it may serve as an example of what kinds of things can go on, just prior to points of further musical or stylistic inspirations, which then have subsequent impacts.

it may well be that The System made those demos in either case. it's more the order I'm interested in.
if you think about it, it also might provide you with an interesting Narrative to use.
especially given you have a project which depends on such facts one way or the other.
Old 5th April 2019
Would love to hear it!
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

go to 17:00
Old 5th April 2019
Ah that, yup - but wasn't that mimicking Chaka programming work? "Ain't Nobody" is from like 82-83 - still awesome machines tho
Old 5th April 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
Ah that, yup - but wasn't that mimicking Chaka programming work? "Ain't Nobody" is from like 82-83 - still awesome machines tho
the material is slated to have been written by David "Hawk" Wolinski around a repeating synthesizer loop backed by a Linn LM-1 drum computer. released Nov 1983.

how this connects to the performance system and the system being called the system, and seemingly released as a system is part of the question. there is a new style beginning to be forged at this time, which is distinctly contemporary and in some way underpinned by changes in technology.

here's what looks like an early article written in January 1984 when the system entered the UK London Rock Shop.

Oberheim Performance System. (EMM Jan 84)

note that: Oberheim, had been producing this totally internally compatible system since 1979
Old 6th April 2019
Yes and I've often wondered about it as it's mentioned in the I Feel For You inner sleeve as well. I remember reading the early Keyboard Magazine issues and about how keyboardists got together like working ants, midi connecting all gear they could find when it was time to record album. Even an artist like Amy Grant could have ten keyboard players and literally a ton of Emu samplers, Prophet 5's and what not ... working on an album, long before she had those one hit wonder tracks for the world at large. But sampled drums came later right? Another question I also have: Any Reason users here?
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

no worries I'll let you get on.
I think the DMX was sampled drums. however, the Drums are mentioned as having been played as opposed to sequenced.
Old 6th April 2019
Yes but we all know it was a combination of both and amazingly both the late Arif Mardin and Quincy Jones came from [many many years in] the jazz music background BUT magically seemed to embrace the new synth technology with open arms. The DMX and the DX both had samples yes. A friend of mine might still have his DX / Stretch DX combo left in his apparently eternal storage... ... imagine my position of trying to reach out and I know guys who sit on fantastic gear never using it. Trust me, I've been and many times but lol - no luck yet. Saw a DSX on Ebay, would be fun to try it but I guess a Youtube demo will be fine - that's totally the new way of getting to know gear. I love both hardware and software so I will try to provide my share as well. I'm literally banging out things to see what people likes to see - most successful video to date being my JD-XA noodling demo but I hope the world's Reason users will wake up too some day.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

you may be able to build something in Reason which simulates how it works. I'd be interested see what you discover.
Old 6th April 2019
Cool, I've done similar experiments before actually. CV / Gate connections invite to creating music in a different way.
Old 6th April 2019
Gear Guru

it might be that the sequence figure in Aint Nobody came from what Steve Porcaro calls Thumbing the DSX Sequencer. he seems to show triggering it on the fly while changing the base pitch of the sequence, then recording the midi into a Linn 9000. anyway ..

YouTube
Old 6th April 2019
The classic VHS tutorial? :-) Will look again - I love that, got a few (less cool - but still) sequencers here and I wish I had his border crossing skills...
Old 7th April 2019
Gear Guru

I think it probably was a VHS one .. yes .. he looks like had had too much (cough) coffee
Old 7th April 2019
Yeah tragical really

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search